Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Version 4 Status Update

Started by arlo, July 09, 2014, 02:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

It's been a busy 10 days since the release of Set List Maker 4, and the third bug fix release is in Apple's review queue. Version 4.0.3 should be available for download by the end of the week. You can read the release notes for each version here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

I've also posted a new video covering the redesigned show view (formerly the Perform window) in more detail, including a new shortcut for switching between a song list and a document layout that many users have asked for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFtWEPg_SeU

I already have a to do list for version 4.0.4, but unless other bugs pop up, that won't come as quickly as the last three updates have. Version 4.0.4 will mostly consist of fixes to bugs that already have simple workarounds, fixes to older bugs that predate version 4, or adjustments to little things that nobody has noticed but me. :-)

If you're still waiting to update to version 4, here's a list of potential issues you should be aware of:

• Memory usage for displaying PDFs seems to be higher in version 4, causing more crashes with large PDF files. This should be improved in version 4.0.3, but we'll see how it works for the users who have reported these problems.
  • You cannot select a different song in the show view and continue playing the recording for the previous song. I should be able to change that in version 4.0.4.
  • The button to quickly add a song to your show during a performance has been changed to a button to fully edit your show, which some users have said is less convenient. Restoring the earlier functionality is a possibility for version 4.0.4.
  • The numbered buttons to skip between pages of a multi-page document during a performance has been removed. Restoring the earlier functionality is a possibility for version 4.0.4.

I'll update this page if any new problems arise with version 4.0.3.

arlo

Version 4.0.3 is available for download now.

Turnaround

Amazing what you have done in a short time!  Couple of things to note:

I am using Documents Only view - Portrait.  I installed the full set list button on the documents page and it works fine.  When I hit it, it takes me back to the Setlist page, but I have lost the current selection - highlight is gone.  And at the same time, the status bar at the bottom of the screen  has gotten mangled - only one character of each field (Title + 1, Singer + 1, Key + 1) shows up.  It's fine until I switch between Document and Set List - then it's down to a single character and stays that way no matter what I do.

And I wonder about the Document button in the set list screen.  I have the Set list full-screen, and when I hit the Document Button, it starts the scrolling countdown but does not switch to the document view.  I would have thought it would switch to the Docs view.  And I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea that it switched view to the Document  but not start the autoscroll until I hit an "autoscroll" button on the docs page.  Maybe the autoscroll start should be configurable to happen automatically when you switch to the docs screen, or if an autoscroll button has been added to the docs page wait for it to be pressed.  This I see as an added feature, but the other items I mentioned I believe are bugs.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.  I was wrong once before.

arlo

Quote from: Turnaround on July 12, 2014, 03:04:23 PM
I am using Documents Only view - Portrait.  I installed the full set list button on the documents page and it works fine.  When I hit it, it takes me back to the Setlist page, but I have lost the current selection - highlight is gone.  And at the same time, the status bar at the bottom of the screen  has gotten mangled - only one character of each field (Title + 1, Singer + 1, Key + 1) shows up.  It's fine until I switch between Document and Set List - then it's down to a single character and stays that way no matter what I do.

I just checked these in the upcoming version 4.0.4 and neither problem appeared there.

Quote from: Turnaround on July 12, 2014, 03:04:23 PM
And I wonder about the Document button in the set list screen.  I have the Set list full-screen, and when I hit the Document Button, it starts the scrolling countdown but does not switch to the document view.  I would have thought it would switch to the Docs view. And I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea that it switched view to the Document  but not start the autoscroll until I hit an "autoscroll" button on the docs page.  Maybe the autoscroll start should be configurable to happen automatically when you switch to the docs screen, or if an autoscroll button has been added to the docs page wait for it to be pressed.

It would be easier to respond to these questions if you sent a message from Help > Request Tech Support so I could see your setup.

arlo

Version 4.0.3 didn't create any showstoppers, but I've spent the last few days making a number of small bug fixes and refinements. I'll test the upcoming version 4.0.4 for a couple more days and then it should be available around Monday or Tuesday of next week. The complete list of changes is here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

Raa4

Hi,
I'm not sure where to report this but I'm having trouble with the app, it seems really glitchy now.

When adding lyrics into the app, copying pasting extra lyrics to existing lyrics or amending existing lyrics the app does some strange things.

I.E -  I was adding an extra chorus in and then upon pasting, it made everything underlined oddly

Also by using the app formatting U B I (as opposed to the apple formatting menu) bu pressing bold for example, would make all the lyrics see go blank with the whole page highlighted. The only way to see the lyrics again was to go to another page and then come back only to find that the text hasdbeen made bold.

It's really frustrating, and sooo time so consuming when updating songs with notes etc in a rehearsal or when updating repetiore. I know that things need to be updated and can't stay the same forever but sadly some of the most basic functions of the app are pretty glitchy and worked fine before :(

I'm using it on an iPad Air.

arlo

Quote from: Raa4 on July 20, 2014, 04:39:24 AM
I'm not sure where to report this but I'm having trouble with the app, it seems really glitchy now.

Please tap Help > Request Tech Support and fill in the questions there.

chatfd

I have used the new app twice @ gigs and a LOT for practicing.  Thanks Goodness not before 4.0.3 was available did I gig w/it!!
As others have been saying - it does strange things when version 3 - was VERY stable & (for the lack of a better word) easier!
I agree that the amount of time I've put into it (of course no where near as much time as the app's creator) to be ready to roll was a little bit much!  More than expected!
Yet - I did put as much time in version 3 learning the app - & making it work for me.  So in a way, it's what it is & I accept that!
And I thank Arlo for getting back with this forum & email messages and other things that have helped the app.  Bring on 4.0.4 & beyond!

Yet, I DO like several of the changes like the loop feature when practicing a part to get it down.
The slow down (why would anyone need to speed up) which is BETTER than anything I have used in anyway much simplier!!
I do wish the tapping of the screen - full screen on a small screen like iPhone or iPod Touch - was as easy as an iPad (mini or full iPad).
Using the app this past weekend ... it was a little stubborn trying to get my pdf documents on the screen the way I wanted them to be!

Overall, if you are a FREQUENT user & a perfectionist - it was a HARD change/switch to version 4.0.0.  But for several of my bandmates who have either NOT upgraded or allow they devices to automatically upgrade or are no where near as precise ... they had less trouble.  They tended to say - what do I push to get my stuff.

Waiting for 4.0.4 - & look to expect a smoother SLM ride

Christoph

To put in my two cents: We had a perfect gig on the weekend, nearly four hours using SLM 4.0.3. Three iPads and several iPhones with lyrics and documents displayed, metronome, MIDI output on multiple channels and audio playback via AirPlay. No hiccups whatsoever. :) Yes, the learning curve for SLM 4 was steep. But on the other hand we really like the new custom layouts because every band member prefers to have different information on the screen. Kudos to Arlo!

Pongo

Nice!

I'm intrigued with the ability to send audio via AirPlay. Does it require the use of the Apple TV box?

Christoph

Hi Pongo, I have answered in the topic "Other help" because your questions does not relate only to the SLM 4 Status.

arlo

GeoKeys

THANK YOU for adding the option to continue audio while selecting another song!!! I really missed that! I use when people are dancing and I want to go right into the next song!  :D

I really like Version 4, now that I've gotten used to it. Especially the ease of getting to the song edit page, the addition of the Rehearsal view, the Recordings section, and being able to make my own layouts and enlarge the important buttons! Plus the in-app volume control works a lot better than it used to, and I can size it to my liking! You made a lot great improvements!

One question, though... Am I crazy, or was the clock larger in the old version? I think it was on the bottom and had larger numbers. Now, I need to squint to see what time it is (no, I'm not gonna wear my reading glasses on stage!). My daughter says it makes sense because it's the same clock we see on the iPhone and iPad all the time, but I'm over 40 and can't see it on stage with my contacts in. :)

arlo

I really like Version 4, now that I've gotten used to it. Especially the ease of getting to the song edit page, the addition of the Rehearsal view, the Recordings section, and being able to make my own layouts and enlarge the important buttons! Plus the in-app volume control works a lot better than it used to, and I can size it to my liking! You made a lot great improvements!

Great, I'm glad you like it.

One question, though... Am I crazy, or was the clock larger in the old version? I think it was on the bottom and had larger numbers. Now, I need to squint to see what time it is (no, I'm not gonna wear my reading glasses on stage!). My daughter says it makes sense because it's the same clock we see on the iPhone and iPad all the time, but I'm over 40 and can't see it on stage with my contacts in. :)

The standard iOS clock appears in the status bar at the top of your screen. Additionally, you could and still can add a larger clock to the bottom toolbar of the show view. If you don't see this, you can edit your layout and tap an unused field in the bottom toolbar and select Current Time for that field:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/custom_layouts.html

Pongo

Quote from: GeoKeys on July 23, 2014, 03:45:43 PM
THANK YOU for adding the option to continue audio while selecting another song!!! I really missed that! I use when people are dancing and I want to go right into the next song!  :D

It seems that this feature only works if you are manually tapping the recording icon for each of your songs, correct?

If a person uses either an automation track, or a song selection action to `play recording', neither of these will work with the option that you have mentioned...I guess.

I concur; Arlo's done a great job with SLM 4!