Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Having trouble adding automation overdub (to scroll document)

Started by Pongo, July 15, 2014, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

I'm trying to add a second layer of automation to manually scroll a document (lyrics) on my iPhone. Because the screen is so small, I want to pinch zoom to fill the screen and then manually scroll (more like hold and drag sections as the recording plays).

I'm in the Perform layout and I click on the automation icon and select record. The icon begins to flash, but the display doesn't change, so that I can see the document and hear the recording. As soon as I tap on the song title, the screen changes, so that I can see the document and hear the recording, but...the automation icon is no longer flashing (or recording).

I realize that SLM works differently on an iPhone, but until I can be certain that SLM 4 is a better option for me, I'm not ready to upgrade the version on my primary device (iPad Mini).

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

arlo

Quote from: Pongo on July 15, 2014, 09:03:49 PM
I'm in the Perform layout and I click on the automation icon and select record. The icon begins to flash, but the display doesn't change, so that I can see the document and hear the recording. As soon as I tap on the song title, the screen changes, so that I can see the document and hear the recording, but...the automation icon is no longer flashing (or recording).

I think what you're saying is that you've added the automation button to the song list and to the song layout, and you're starting recording on the song list and then navigating to the song layout (which is on a separate page on an iPhone) and the recording has stopped when you get there. I think you will need to record automation on one page or the other -- you won't be able to record an automation track that spans both pages. If you want to sync your automation with your recording, that means you will probably need to start the recording from the automation track rather than from a song selection action, which is probably a good idea anyway because it keeps all the related actions together as one entity.

Pongo

The original automation layer for this particular song was recorded in SLM 3.4

I'm now trying to simply add a second layer of automation (as a separate event) and can't believe how difficult it's turning out to be.

The only place that will even allow me to record (or edit) the automation is in the Shows tab, with the Perform layout selected (since iPhone doesn't support document only layout), but the problem is that I can't get the recording to play or the document to appear UNLESS I tap on the song title...which reverts back to the list of songs in my show and stops the automation from recording.

Would it be helpful if I recorded a short video?