Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Songs seem to randomly lose their document scroll settings at the start.

Started by Pongo, August 05, 2014, 04:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

I'm noticing that occasionally,and purely at random, when I select a song in a show, the document appears incorrectly.
Instead of being near the top of the page, which is where all my documents should default to...because I haven't changed THAT, they appear about 1/3-1/2 the way down the document from where they should be.

I've gone through all of my documents (in Database>Documents) and verified that they are all set correctly, but...something changes the document in the Shows view...randomly. It's only happened to a couple of songs, which is easy to resolve now, but if this happens during a show...it'd be not as easy, perhaps.

Any idea how to solve this, without adding a `Scroll Document to 0' command in the automation track for the start of each song?

arlo

If it happens again, please send a message from Help > Request Tech Support and specify the name of the song where the problem appeared.

Pongo

arlo

Here's a guess based on a look at your setup ... you can test it if you want.

If you zoom a document and use auto-scrolling, and you change to another song while auto-scrolling is still running, the document will display as expected (zoomed but not scrolled) the next time you view it. But if you  let the auto-scrolling run all the way to the end before changing to another song, the document will display at the last scrolled position the next time you view it.

Does that match what you're seeing?

I've been wondering about this for a while, but didn't know if it was a problem because nobody has mentioned it before.

Pongo

Yes, this matches what I am seeing for one document, but there are times when I do not let the auto-scrolling (or even the automation track) run to the end and this happens randomly with other documents as well.

An example is one song that loads the document (in the Shows Layout) and places it in the Document Viewer about an inch higher than it should be (truncating the first line in the lyrics). When I look at the automation data, there's an event to Scroll Document to 175 @ 1.42 seconds, but...I don't recall recording that event. It has also lost the zoom setting that I had, yet navigating back to the Document section, I see the Document displayed correctly, and the zoom level is also correct.

So, my question now is:
What takes priority in SLM, when it comes to saving and viewing a document?

Is it how it is saved in Settings>Documents>[Document], or does the Shows Layout Document trump whatever the Settings>Documents>[Document] was last saved as?

To clarify, does manipulating a Document within the Shows Layout, automatically apply those same changes to Settings>Documents>[Document]?

arlo

Manual zooming and repositioning is saved whether you do it from the show view, the Documents list or the Songs list, and whichever you do last is the one that will be recalled in all of those locations.

Scrolling from an automation track is different and will override any manual positioning when the automation track plays. The only way a scroll event would be added to an automation track is if you recorded the event.

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on August 07, 2014, 01:06:33 PM
Manual zooming and repositioning is saved whether you do it from the show view, the Documents list or the Songs list, and whichever you do last is the one that will be recalled in all of those locations.

Scrolling from an automation track is different and will override any manual positioning when the automation track plays. The only way a scroll event would be added to an automation track is if you recorded the event.

I finally managed to test this, before claiming that you are incorrect. I can now say, with all due respect, that you are incorrect about this issue.

I just recorded an automation track from scratch with the following:

Midi preset send
Recording Start
Auto Scroll Start/Stop (6 different events)
Notes View (to cue me before the last verse)

I did not enter a Scroll Document to [numeric] event anywhere!

When I played it back, it seemed to be fine, but...when I played it a second time and tapped the document, to make it full screen...it changed.

Now, there are Scroll Document to [numeric] events after the 2nd, 4th and 6th Auto Scroll start/Stop events. Perhaps this is how you have programmed SLM to compensate when a document is viewed full screen (after scroll events are recorded in the Perform layout). In any event, I now have Scroll Document to [numeric] events that I did NOT record. When I play the song from the Perform Layout (not full screen) the auto scroll is not correct, because of these newly added (by SLM, not me) events.

arlo

arlo

Okay, yes, the automation tracks do not record specific scroll positions while auto-scrolling is running, but when you stop the auto-scrolling, the next cycle of the scroll position checker sees the new scroll position and records it. It doesn't know that that position was attained via auto-scrolling, because auto-scrolling has stopped. I just updated the app to ignore scroll positions while auto-scrolling is running or has recently stopped. That will be available in the next update, which I'm planning to submit some time this week.

Pongo

Thanks Arlo. I appreciate you taking the time to test and confirm this was happening.

Now...if I could only get continuity in how the documents display in the Perform Layout.
During a show last night I found that two documents opened in the middle of the page at the start of a song.
I know that you've attempted to clarify how/why this should be happening, but I manually opened every single document that I have in this particular Show, prior to the gig to ensure that they were all correct.

Since you are making a change to this part of the auto-scrollig feature, could you also consider adding a way to globally add a Scroll Document to 0 command that could be applied to every song automatically? This would seem to ensure that all documents in a Show would open at the beginning...rather than half way through the lyrics page.

arlo

I proposed a theory for why that was happening above but you said that theory didn't explain the behavior you were seeing. In any case, I'm planning to work on a solution for the behavior I'm seeing for version 4.1 later this year.

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on August 24, 2014, 05:44:21 PM
Okay, yes, the automation tracks do not record specific scroll positions while auto-scrolling is running, but when you stop the auto-scrolling, the next cycle of the scroll position checker sees the new scroll position and records it. It doesn't know that that position was attained via auto-scrolling, because auto-scrolling has stopped. I just updated the app to ignore scroll positions while auto-scrolling is running or has recently stopped. That will be available in the next update, which I'm planning to submit some time this week.

Were you able to submit this update to Apple as planned??

arlo

Quote from: Pongo on August 30, 2014, 11:41:17 AM
Were you able to submit this update to Apple as planned??

No, I'm dealing with some bugs created by iOS 8 now. When I submit the next version, you'll see it on the Release Notes page:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html