Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Adjusting the volume for a recording

Started by Pongo, August 06, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

I just sent you [another] Tech Support message, but thought that I'd post a summary of this problem here, in case anyone else has encountered it.

I've found that when I navigate to Recordings> [select Recording], the volume adjustment makes no audible change for at least a few of my recordings. I have to go back and then return to this menu to even hear the change, for those that it did work for. Shouldn't the change in volume be heard as I adjust the volume? Otherwise, how would I know what the recording `sounds like' compared to the others?

I also found it odd that when I looked at the recording levels initially, many were set to crazy values (like +157, or +173), which made no sense.

Thanks,

Pongo

Here's an update:

I've now noticed that even though some of the recordings don't have an audible change in volume while in the Recording tab (after making the adjustments, because I do not hear a difference at all while making the adjustment), when I navigate to the Show layout and select the same song, I do hear the volume change. However, I have at least two songs (recordings) that still have no change in volume...even in the Shows layout.

I've reduced the volume to 5%, which would be a very noticeable volume drop, but...nada.

arlo

I've found that when I navigate to Recordings> [select Recording], the volume adjustment makes no audible change for at least a few of my recordings. I have to go back and then return to this menu to even hear the change, for those that it did work for. Shouldn't the change in volume be heard as I adjust the volume? Otherwise, how would I know what the recording `sounds like' compared to the others?

It sounds like you are editing the recording info in the right column and then playing the recordings from the icons in the left column. But you would need to save the recording edit page by navigating to another page or reloading the same page (e.g., select the recording in the list) before you will hear the change in volume.

I also found it odd that when I looked at the recording levels initially, many were set to crazy values (like +157, or +173), which made no sense.

I've never seen that before. The default value should be 100%.

I have at least two songs (recordings) that still have no change in volume...even in the Shows layout.

You could send me a message from Help > Request Tech Support and tell me the names of these recordings, or look in iTunes and see if there's something different about those two compared to the others.

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on August 06, 2014, 10:45:52 PM
It sounds like you are editing the recording info in the right column and then playing the recordings from the icons in the left column. But you would need to save the recording edit page by navigating to another page or reloading the same page (e.g., select the recording in the list) before you will hear the change in volume.

Yes, that's exactly what I was doing. Is it not possible to hear the volume change as it's being made by the user, without having to navigate away and then return to the same recording?

I've never seen that before. The default value should be 100%.
Yeah, I thought that should be the default value as well, but at least a dozen of my recordings had a default value well > 100%

You could send me a message from Help > Request Tech Support and tell me the names of these recordings, or look in iTunes and see if there's something different about those two compared to the others.

I removed the recording(s) from the songs and then re-attached them and it seems to have corrected the problem.

arlo

Is it not possible to hear the volume change as it's being made by the user, without having to navigate away and then return to the same recording?

It's not possible to preview the volume changes before saving them. The easiest way to save and then preview is to make the change, then tap the recording name in the left column, which saves and reloads the same edit page, then tap the recording icon.

jeff618

Has anything changed on this topic with newer versions?  Do I still need to change volume percentages, then save, then hit play again?

I am a new user and our mp3 sequences are all over the place with varying volumes.  I hooked the iPad up to a tape deck with meters to go through all 90 or so recordings and adjust.  I thought I could do it real-time (or at least wished I could do it real time) but it appeared I couldn't so I came here to the forum and found this string.  Do I still need to go back and forth, saving then playing again to check my meters, then adjusting and saving and playing and adjusting and saving and playing?  I want to make sure ASAP so I know what's ahead of me.  Please advise! :)

arlo

Quote from: jeff618 on January 05, 2015, 03:41:41 PM
Has anything changed on this topic with newer versions?  Do I still need to change volume percentages, then save, then hit play again?

It still works the same way. Saving only takes a moment, one tap to save and then another tap to restart the audio playback.