Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Info/Database backup?

Started by MoSynth, August 28, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoSynth

Is there a way to back up or export finance information? Thanks in advance for your help.

M

arlo

On the Finance > Transactions page of the web interface, you could copy and paste the list into Excel and save it in that format. However, you'd have to copy one page at a time given the current pagination functionality.

I plan to improve on this and will post back here when I do (but I'm currently busy with iOS 8 bug fixes and the initial Android version of the app, so it could be a while).

MoSynth

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll be looking forward to the implementation of data backup. For now I'll do as you suggested. The only problem with that solution is that not all information is included (e.g., notes, paid by whom, etc.). I just worry about data loss.

MoSynth

Understanding that you're busy with other tasks, how difficult would it be to add the "Paid By" column to the current Transaction page? I think that's the only crucial column missing.Thanks again.

M

arlo

Can you describe a scenario where you would use that?

MoSynth

I don't know why I just saw your question. Anywho, come tax preparation season, our drummer will be distributing 1099 forms to us, and we simply cannot risk losing financial information entered here, meaning we have to keep a separate log with pretty much the same information. If we were able to back up/export information from this app, it would make things much easier for us. Your suggestion of simply copying the html tables from the website would be a decent temporary solution if it included the "Paid by" column, in order for us to be able to determine who incurred in which expenses.

arlo

It wouldn't be difficult, I guess the hardest thing would be fitting one more column into the available space. If I added an export function, that wouldn't be an issue because I could put as much info as I wanted into the export file.

Also, this would be the person who paid an expense or distribution, and the person who received income. Internally I call that person the "handler" of a transaction, so I guess the column could say "Handled by."

I'll move this to the top of my list for web updates, but I don't yet have a sense of how soon I could get to it...

arlo

I just added an Export button to the Songs, Events and Transactions list pages, to save the current list as a tab-delimited text file, which you can open in Excel. The generated file will use the currently selected list files, so you could export a separate file for each band member, for example. It will also include a "handler" column to show who received the income or paid the expense.

All of today's updates are listed here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/release_notes.html