Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Using the Practice Layout

Started by Pongo, August 31, 2014, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

What is the main purpose of the Practice Layout?

As you may recall, I have wondered why SLM remembers the last zoom setting of a document, no matter where the last zoom event was performed. Is it possible to use the Practice Layout and have anything that is changed there NOT effect how the same song is displayed in the Perform Layout?

Thanks,

arlo

The purpose is to give you access to some things that you might need during practice (notes and recording looping controls) as a trade-off for smaller document/lyrics display. Remember that all the predefined layouts are just suggestions and you can customize for your own situation as needed.

I think it's a good thing that zoom levels set in one layout are saved and recalled in others. That means if you are using one layout to practice, you can set up your zoom levels right there and they will be available when you go on stage and want to use a different layout. Otherwise you'd have to go into your performance layout and set all your zoom levels as a separate step.

I'll probably add an explicit "save zoom level" button for documents in version 4.1, so then you could resize in one layout without saving at all if that's what you want.

Pongo

One example would be if I need to rehearse/practice one section of a song.

I would zoom my document to the section that I'm rehearsing and perhaps even loop the recording for that same section. The way that SLM works now, I would need to zoom my document exactly how it was before, when I have finished practicing, to ensure that it opens correctly when I navigate back to the Perform Layout. I know this has been volleyed back and forth, ad nauseam, but IMHO, the Perform Layout should be where things remain unchanged, since that's where I perform my songs.

Having the explicit "save zoom level" button will be a step in the right direction much appreciated.

Thanks,

arlo

In the upcoming app version 4.1, document zoom levels will not be saved automatically -- you will have to save them explicitly by tapping the center of the document, then tapping the checkmark icon in the toolbar that appears. In that toolbar, you can also tap the X icon to reset the zoom level.

More info on the new version is here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html
http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,848.0.html