Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Limitation for Multiple MIDI Presets in a song?

Started by Joe_K, September 04, 2014, 09:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe_K

I'm about half way through programming my sets for tomorrow night and I've run into what looks like a limitation.  I have a song with 4 unique presets, but there are 9 changes during the song, so I want to add redundant presets in the order I will switch them.  The program does actually allow me to construct a series of presets like this:

Preset 1
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 4
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 1

But, using the Remote control to switch to the Next Preset won't advance past the third one.  Instead, it jumps back to the first instance of Preset 2 and then is stuck in cycle between Preset 2 and 3 and won't advance further.

I figure one work around to this is to just build 9 MIDI Presets, even though some are copies, and add them all to the song in order, but was hoping for less work.

arlo

The inability to step through a list of presets when the list contains duplicates is a bug that I'm aware of, but it's been on the back burner because nobody has asked about it until now. I'll be wrapping up the next update tomorrow and I'll add this fix if I can, but it might have to wait until the update after that.

One alternative, if you have enough footswitch buttons, is to map a button directly to each preset ... so you'd press button 1 when it's time for preset 1 and button two when it's time for preset 2, etc. But stepping through with a single button should work.

Joe_K

Thanks.  I look forward to trying out the fix.

I already have the ability to step on a foot controller button to call up an exact preset.  What I'm trying to do is make it so that I step on the same button every time there needs to be a change.  I have this Fractal Audio MFC-101 controller that can do nearly anything I need:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-mfc-101-midi-foot-controller.php

But now next to that I have the smaller PEAK controller I showed in another thread.  This is kind of an aux controller for doing things like controller looper functions, tap tempos and now, plugged into SLM, stepping through the songs in the set list (which in turn sends out the starting preset to the MFC).  Nice and easy.  Now I'm going try out actually stepping through the song's presets on the MFC without touching the MFC.  Its an experiment that I'll try at tomorrow's show.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for the cool software!

GuyM

I also have very long songs with lots of patch changes etc to do...

What I have done is to split the song up into sections and have the relevant patch changes for each section attached
(and then saved these in SLM as Songs e.g Fred#1, Fred#2, Fred#3)
I also have a lot of lyrics and prompt notes for each 'section' (Song)

So as I get to a set point in the piece I hit NEXT SONG and so the Next 'Section' and Patch change activates

Guy

Joe_K

Thanks.  I think I'm going to confine the "Next" Preset feature to songs that have only 2 presets (that's a lot of them).  That way it is just a toggle between two presets, more or less.  For the rest of the songs, I'll just do what I've always done (I use the Notes section in my Layout to remind me what to do).

Nordi

Quote from: Joe_K on September 04, 2014, 09:23:22 PM

Preset 1
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 4
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 1

If i understand the problem, them i have another solution. You can copy the presets you need again and renaim them. For example:
Preset 1 = Preset 11, Preset 12, Preset 13
Preset 2 = Preset 21, Preset 22, Preset 23
And so on. Now your Preset list per song is:
Preset 1
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 21
Preset 31
Preset 41
Preset 22
Preset 32
And so on

Now is the main problem to save enough place for all Button

arlo

I had a similar thought as Nordi's -- you could do that if you need an immediate solution.

But I was able to fix the problem in the update that I'm submitting to Apple tonight, so that should be available in a week or so:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

Joe_K

Quote from: Nordi on September 06, 2014, 12:52:54 PM
If i understand the problem, them i have another solution. You can copy the presets you need again and renaim them. For example:
Preset 1 = Preset 11, Preset 12, Preset 13
Preset 2 = Preset 21, Preset 22, Preset 23
And so on. Now your Preset list per song is:
Preset 1
Preset 2
Preset 3
Preset 21

Thanks Nordi.  That is what I did.

Joe_K

Quote from: arlo on September 06, 2014, 07:11:53 PM
I had a similar thought as Nordi's -- you could do that if you need an immediate solution.

But I was able to fix the problem in the update that I'm submitting to Apple tonight, so that should be available in a week or so:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

Cool.  Thanks, I'll check it out and report back.  Thanks!