Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Multiple Recordings attached to a song

Started by Pongo, September 06, 2014, 12:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

I've already alerted you to this problem, via the Help>Request Tech Support, from my device, but wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this new problem.

I have a handful of songs that I have multiple recordings attached (various renditions of the same tune, basically). Suddenly, in all but one of those songs, the recording icon has disappeared and I am [obviously] unable to play the recordings. This is also the case when I am in the Perform Layout. The orange recording icon is no longer there.

The only way to restore the recording icon is to edit the song(s) and remove all recordings, except for one.

Any idea what could have caused this?

Thanks,

arlo

I see that most of your recordings don't have artists or albums entered. That shouldn't be a problem, but apparently it still is somehow. I just tried attaching two recordings without albums or artists and it worked correctly about four out of five times, with no clues about what's going wrong the fifth time. Can you just try removing the recordings from that song and adding them again?

Pongo

All of the songs in my SLM database have an artist (BT, for Backing Track), but do not have an album association.

All of these songs had worked previously with these multiple recordings.

I will remove [again] and re-attach these recordings and let you know if that remedies this problem. Further to this, I attached a second recording to songs that never had them (as they don't belong to the song anyway; this is just a test) and they all failed.

Thanks,

arlo

Pongo

Thanks Arlo. After going through the songs in my database, I realized that I was mistaken. Not all songs had the `BT' artist at the song level after all.

I think that I simply forget to manually enter the artist info when I created the songs, thinking that SLM would automatically populate that field (since it's in the metadata of the mp3 file).

My apologies.

arlo

The Artist field when you edit a song in Set List Maker shouldn't matter ... I was referring to the Artist field when you edit a recording in iTunes. That's what is used (along with the Title and Album fields) to link recordings to songs. It was the Artist field in the recordings that I had noticed weren't all populated.

This shouldn't matter, but when I tested it again I did see that attaching multiple recordings to a song when the recordings had empty fields still failed occasionally. So the suggestion is to either populate all those fields, or just try reattaching any that failed the first time.