Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Editing Text in Lyrics etc and the Pop up keyboard

Started by GuyM, September 16, 2014, 12:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyM

I have mentioned this before and it may be just my own perception, but I am sure when I first started using SLM (v3 ? I think)...editing the lyrics was not as 'irritating'!
Now I realise that this sort of editing function is sort of iOS standard, but I am convinced that it has changed in v4 somehow?? Especilaly when editing Song details and adding in Lyrics/Notes which I do a lot of.

The pop up keyboard obscures the bottom of the text box and you have to keep moving the whole Song screen up and out of the way to be able to get access to the bottom of the input text box.....and it is springy...and jumps back

Is there a way that as you scroll down, hit return or generally add in text at the bottom of the input box, the screen can somehow move move up as well so you can keep typing in/down without putting a line in, move the whole screen up etc. etc.  i.e. to compensate?

It is hard enough with fat fingers to get text correct in these boxes!!!

Nordi

And against "fat fingers" http://www.amazon.de/Bluetooth-Wireless-Tastatur-Deutsche-Keyboard/dp/B00BKS8P80/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410889054&sr=8-3&keywords=Anker+tastatur

Works very fine with iPad and Setlistmaker

Ups!!!! Sorry, was a wrong Link! Now here the correct Link.

arlo

Maybe Nordi's link already answered your question  ;)  but here are some additional comments:

- The edit page should scroll automatically so that the top of the field is visible after the keyboard appears. This however is not super reliable. I've tried improving it, but it's pretty easy just to manually scroll the page if needed.

- To scroll the page, you need to drag your finger outside of any text fields. If you drag inside a text field, you will select and/or scroll the text within the field.

- The app makes no attempt to scroll the text within the field if your typing takes you below the level of the keyboard. I don't think I can control that.

- If you rotate your device to portrait orientation, the keyboard takes up much less room on the screen. This means the keyboard buttons are smaller, but it eliminates the need to scroll up and down while typing.

- If you like typing with your thumbs, and you use an iPad, you can try the iPad's split keyboard mode. If you split AND undock the keyboard, you can select and scroll the lyrics in the space between the two keyboard halves: http://www.cultofmac.com/220203/mastering-ios-keyboard-dock-undock-split-ipad-ios-tips/

- If you pair an external keyboard with your device, the on-screen keyboard won't appear at all, so you have the full screen space for selecting and scrolling. For iOS devices, the Apple Bluetooth keyboard is not the cheapest option, but it works very well: https://amzn.to/2LUFHnL

- Or you can switch to BandHelper, which includes a web interface that syncs automatically with the app on your devices. Then you can do your lyrics editing and formatting on your computer: http://www.bandhelper.com

GuyM

Thanks all for looking into this

I may have to look at the Bluetooth keyboard option as my iPad is docked into my iStudio (Landscape) and when I am working I do not want to be continually undocking it to turn into portrait or anything like that to add text etc into SLM

BandHelper looks great but as I am working pretty much alone ..maybe add the web based 'edit' option to SLM as an Add On at some point?

If I have SLM already working well and wanted to switch to Bandhelper ...does it all have to be set up again or can it take over the SLM config?

arlo

QuoteBandHelper looks great but as I am working pretty much alone ..maybe add the web based 'edit' option to SLM as an Add On at some point?

The back ends have some fundamental differences, so I have no plans to do that.

If I have SLM already working well and wanted to switch to Bandhelper ...does it all have to be set up again or can it take over the SLM config?

You can import your Set List Maker data into BandHelper. Instructions are on the Account > Import page of the BandHelper web interface.

GuyM

and is BandHelper functionality as updated as SLM...ie every feature matched (or enhanced)
Is it as intuitive to use as SLM...what is the re-learning curve?
Anyone else here switched?

What I do not want to do is go for BH and then find things are not quite the same and get confused

arlo

I've been releasing the same updates to both products on the same schedule. The app front-end is almost identical. There's an extra level of menu navigation because of the additional schedule and finance sections, and attaching documents and recordings works a bit differently because they are managed directly by the app. The toolbars are a brighter shade of blue. :) You could a new thread in the BandHelper section of the forum to ask how people have made the transition.