Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Transpose, Split keyboard etc?

Started by Borka, September 16, 2014, 05:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borka

Hello!

I just bought this app and am trying to set it up. I'm complete new to Midi and have tried to google this before but haven't got answers that work for me. I'm not familiar with the lingo and technical terms, so perhaps that is why I have failed so far... :)

Right now I have an old Midi Keyboard and a Roland AX-Synth that I only use as Midi keyboards. All sounds I use when I perform with my band are VST synths in a computer. Now I would like to move away from that and instead use the internal sounds of the Roland AX-Synth.

I don't use any prerecorded midi/sampling. I will play everything live. I just need help with changing the settings between songs.

I want to set up the Set list maker app so i get the following settings for each song:

• Sound setting
  • Transpose
  • Keyboard split

I have found out how I change from one sound to another using the app with the program change functions.

My two problems:

1. Transpose
What i really need help with now is how I send information about transpose to my AX-Synth. I guess I need to write some hex codes, but I have no idea how these works. Any good guide for newbees you can link to would be appreciated.

2. Split keyboard
I also would like to make it possible to play two different sounds on the keyboard. Unfortunatly I don't think this is possible on the Roland AX-Synth at all, but I will probably buy another synth or stage piano that can play multiple sounds.

I would like to know how the Set List Maker app should be setup to manage this. I guess hex codes could be used here too?

As i said, I'm completely new to using midi this way, so please dumb down your answers and provide some examples if possible.
Thanks a lot!!!
//Borka

arlo

Basically, you need to check the user guides or the websites for your keyboards and find out what MIDI messages they are listening for to trigger the desired functions. These will usually be presented as hex code, which you can enter into the Raw MIDI field of a MIDI preset in Set List Maker. These codes will be different for every brand of keyboard, so that's why you should look for resources related to your particular keyboard, unless another member of this forum happens to have the same equipment.

Once you've found the MIDI messages you need to send, you can post back here if you're having trouble getting them into Set List Maker and using them.

Also, I just started a thread of general MIDI resources if you want to learn more about it:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,656.0.html

Nordi

Quote from: Borka on September 16, 2014, 05:59:15 AM
Hello!

I just bought this app and am trying to set it up. I'm complete new to Midi and have tried to google this before but haven't got answers that work for me. I'm not familiar with the lingo and technical terms, so perhaps that is why I have failed so far... :)

Right now I have an old Midi Keyboard and a Roland AX-Synth that I only use as Midi keyboards. All sounds I use when I perform with my band are VST synths in a computer. Now I would like to move away from that and instead use the internal sounds of the Roland AX-Synth.

I don't use any prerecorded midi/sampling. I will play everything live. I just need help with changing the settings between songs.

I want to set up the Set list maker app so i get the following settings for each song:

• Sound setting
  • Transpose
  • Keyboard split

I have found out how I change from one sound to another using the app with the program change functions.

My two problems:

1. Transpose
What i really need help with now is how I send information about transpose to my AX-Synth. I guess I need to write some hex codes, but I have no idea how these works. Any good guide for newbees you can link to would be appreciated.

2. Split keyboard
I also would like to make it possible to play two different sounds on the keyboard. Unfortunatly I don't think this is possible on the Roland AX-Synth at all, but I will probably buy another synth or stage piano that can play multiple sounds.

I would like to know how the Set List Maker app should be setup to manage this. I guess hex codes could be used here too?

As i said, I'm completely new to using midi this way, so please dumb down your answers and provide some examples if possible.
Thanks a lot!!!
//Borka

Hi
So far i know, no synth is possible to set a split point via Midi

The setting with transpose feature is possible on my Roland Jupiter via Hex Code. Maybe it will be working via SLM if you record the Hex Code with the learn feature in SLM.
I do not know how all Synths works, but on Roland keyboards (middle to high price) it is much more easyer to store the transpose and split informations in every patch and split. So SLM calls up the sound via Midi on Keyboard and the Keyboard use the patch with all information wich was store in it.
The most important benefit for storing split and transpose information in the keyboard is the protection the information inside the hardware. If you go on stage only with the keyboard, you will have the same features inside the hardware. We call it "little set of instruments" for little Gigs. So you dont need always the iPad and so on.

Pongo

I agree. Splitting the keyboard and saving that as a patch, or program, is the way to go.