Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Making Sampletank work with SLM 4

Started by 897, September 21, 2014, 01:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,
im working with SLM4 and Ipad 3 and im a new user here. My englisch i not so good but i still trying to explain my problem:

I play the acoustic guitar and sometimes i play just one man solo. In some songs it would be helpfull to have a groove at the refrain etc.
I have a midi interface Line6 mobilizer II and the APP Sampletank free.
I tried different ways to select some patterns via midi and play them at the background but now im very frustrated about this because i dont know how to select, switch tempo, start samples and stop them.

Maybe here is a user who understands midi and can help me out with some tips to make it work?

Werner

Nordi

Hi Werner
If i understand your problem correctly than you want to use SLM as a Master for Sampletank? I think this will not work.
For checking out the features of sampletank i think its the best way to use the app Midi Monitor. with Midi Monitor you can see the Midi Controller and so on.

I loaded Midimonitor but i cannot handle and understand it. I did some actions on sampletank but i cannot seams nothing to me its only a message "midi output found: sampletank free".
Which information can i get with midimonitor? Can i find out the midi commands i need?

Werner

Pongo

Sampletank is basically a `sound module', meaning that you would normally trigger the sounds from a MIDI keyboard or controller.

I know that there are patterns, or grooves, that you can play with a single note, which must be what you are asking about. While there might in fact be a way to send this `note on/note off' information from SLM, you might consider recording your grooves as individual mp3 files. You could then attach them to you songs, BUT...you would need to record the mp3 to be the same duration as your [performance of the] song. This would likely mean a lot of silence for the majority of the mp3, until the groove hits. This would also require you to play in perfect time with the mp3 file. Depending on your sense of timing, this may or may not even be a viable option.

Nordi

Hi Werner - i think this thread is here absolutly wrong, we are here in SLM -Forum, not in Sampletank Forum. But i want to help you, so i think it is better to change the forum.

Du kannst mich unter elchbaby@gmx.de anmailen, dann können wir auf deutsch weitermachen und stören nicht die Kollegen hier am Board, ok?

Hi Pongo,
thats exactly what i made yesterday but i found out when i start the mp3 wih my pageflip the delay is very long and i have to pre hit the button. And the other thing is as you sayd you have to record in the same speed as you play.

Do you know a App that makes what i want to do?

Werner

Hallo Nordi,
Deine emailadresse kann nicht zugestellt werden!

Werner

Nordi

Pongo

Quote from: 897 on September 21, 2014, 12:05:27 PM
Hi Pongo,
thats exactly what i made yesterday but i found out when i start the mp3 wih my pageflip the delay is very long and i have to pre hit the button. And the other thing is as you sayd you have to record in the same speed as you play.
Yes. You basically would have to follow your mp3 file EXACTLY, which is not something that works for everyone. A better option (from my previous suggestion) would be to just record the groove and then use an automation track to tell SLM when to play the mp3 file (known as a Recording) as your song is playing. My original suggestion of recording a full-length mp3 file was not the best suggestion after all.

Do you know a App that makes what i want to do?
Not really, but I'll see what I can find to help you resolve this.

Werner

arlo

Quote from: 897 on September 21, 2014, 01:58:10 AM
I tried different ways to select some patterns via midi and play them at the background but now im very frustrated about this because i dont know how to select, switch tempo, start samples and stop them.

If you're trying to control another app or device from Set List Maker, the first step is to find out what actions in that app or device can be remote-controlled and what MIDI messages that app or device uses to trigger them. When you find out what messages you need to send to that app or device, then we can help enter those messages into Set List Maker if needed. But to find out what MIDI messages the other app or device needs, it's best to ask the manufacturer or users of that app or device.

yes thats the problem because they dont answer me or say use standard midi commands.

Werner