Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Using headphone output for click

Started by Pongo, October 04, 2014, 03:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

I know that I can split Set List Maker's recording playback, tempo clicks and starting pitches to separate audio ports by connecting an external audio interface to my iOS device's dock connector. Is it possible (for a future release) to offer this same option via Bluetooth, instead of the dock connector?

I've found a pair of PA speakers that will receive Bluetooth stereo output from my iOS device. It would be great if I could also have the headphone output simultaneously send a click track as well, to a separate speaker or headphone.

Link to product video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEL3bXUmDHM

Thanks,

arlo

No, the Bluetooth and headphone output are both driven by the internal audio interface. You would still need an external, USB audio interface if you wanted a separate audio output.

Pongo

Thanks [again] Arlo.

I doubt that there is an audio interface that would work for my needs, but I guess I'll `Start-a-Googlin'. LOL!

arlo

What are your needs -- to send one of the audio signals via Bluetooth? If so, you could use any class-compliant USB audio interface for the click and use the built-in Bluetooth for the backing track. Or if that doesn't work (I haven't tested it myself), add an external Bluetooth audio transmitter like this to one of the outputs:

https://amzn.to/2OxGdq6

Pongo

To send the stereo signal wirelessly via Bluetooth, while sending a click to a drummer [I'm also currently sending MIDI via an iRig Midi adapter from my iPad Mini].

Currently, I'm using an inexpensive wireless Bluetooth speaker that has a headphone output. I connect to the speaker via Bluetooth and place it near the mixer. I simply connect the headphone out from the speaker to two channels of the mixer. I have my backing track mixed as mono (hard left) and drums hard right. This way, I can send the drums to a drummer, by using an aux buss, and not to the mains (FOH). If I gig without a drummer, I simply feed the right channel from my backing track to FOH.

My desire is to have a true stereo backing track (without drums, or click) that can be sent wirelessly to the main speakers and still have a drumtrack/click to feed a drummer, discretely via the iPad headphone out.

arlo

Why wouldn't the audio interface listed on my Hardware page...

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/hardware.html

...combined with a Bluetooth transmitter as described above meet your needs?

Pongo

Since I'm already using the lightning connector port for the iRig Midi, how could I also connect an audio interface as well?

arlo

I don't know how you could send audio and MIDI both over USB. Seems like you would need a USB hub that works with iOS, if such a thing exists, then a MIDI interface with a USB connection, or just go directly to your MIDI device via USB if it supports that.

Pongo

Which is precisely why I was inquiring if it was doable using Bluetooth and the headphone jack together.

Looks like I'll just have to be satisfied with what I'm using now.

Or...

Could I reliably setup my second ios device running SLM to be a slave and simply flash the tempo for each song? Most drummers that play to a click can also follow a visual metronome...right?! LOL!

arlo

I don't know what you're doing with MIDI, but if you set up two devices it might be better to have one device handle audio and tempo and the other handle MIDI. I don't think you could reliably synchronize the tempo flashes on one device with the audio playback on another device.

Pongo

I'm using the MIDI out from SLM to send patch changes to a vocal harmonizer setup in automation tracks (as the audio is playing). Some of the patch changes have to be relatively precise, so I don't think I'll risk trying to slave a second device.

Sounds like I'd be asking for trouble to change the way things are working now.

Thanks,