Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Forum Registration Email

Started by arlo, October 07, 2014, 10:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

If you registered for this forum, but didn't receive the activation email, please check your spam folder.

If you still can't find it, you can send a message to arlo ** at ** arlomedia.com to request activation. Please mention which of my apps you are using, to demonstrate that you are not a spammer, and tell me the email address you registered with if it's different than the address you're emailing from.

arlo

Earlier this month I got hit with a flood of spammer registrations, so I had to change the registration process to require manual approval. After registering, please send a message to the email address above to request approval. Please mention which apps you use, and specify the email address you registered with if it's different from the one you are emailing from.

arlo

After eight months, I am still getting several registrations a day from spammers, but none have gotten through this manual approval process. So it remains a necessary inconvenience.  :-\

arlo

Five years later, and spam registrations now number in the hundreds per day. But not one spammer has sent a manual approval request, so this method still works.

arlo

A few weeks ago, I installed a forum plug-in that checks new registrations against a spammer database, and that has stopped almost all the spammers. I then switched back from manual verification requiring you to manually email me for approval, to automatic email validation requiring you to click a link in an email that the registration process sends you. So now we're back to the first message posted here.