Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Mute reverb after every song, reverb on at the beginning of every song

Started by Danny, October 12, 2014, 06:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny

Hi guys

I use a boss footswitch to manually mute and engage reverb during my show, it's solo vocals with backingbtracks, want to keep the stage clear, so I am thinking of either using an  alesis quadraverb, with a mute fx patch, , program 1 a ballad reverb program 2, and maybe a be bop a lula slap back echo program, 3 or invest in a digital mixer like the berry x range.

What's the best way to do this, record an automation track or just assign a program change to every song in the library, will the latter leave reverb permanently on?

Please keep any advice at idiot level thanks

Danny

Uwe

Hi,

when u are using backing tracks anyway the best option would be automation, as u do not have changeing length of songs due to band timing and stuff.
I'd go for that. Saves hassle.

cheers
Uwe

arlo

I can't tell what you're trying to do. Are you using a foot switch now and you want to eliminate the foot switch?

Danny

Hi Arlo hi guys

I have aN analogue desk, with built in lexicon fx , toggled via a non latching footswitch, right now every song  I sing has the same reverb, I own an old quadraverb and would like to use this or maybe a new digital desk and yes, get rid of the pedal,

When the songs on the Slm app finish I want to send program 1 no reverb to the digital fx, let's say on channel 16, and like wise have a few Ballad and other reverb patches invoked on the start of a song.

I just want it to be slick.

Cheers

Danny

arlo

Quote from: Danny on October 14, 2014, 06:12:34 AM
When the songs on the Slm app finish I want to send program 1 no reverb to the digital fx, let's say on channel 16, and like wise have a few Ballad and other reverb patches invoked on the start of a song.

The first thing to do is add a MIDI preset for each patch you want to trigger on your effects unit.

Then you can attach one of the reverb presets to each song, and turn on Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions > Send MIDI Presets. Now whenever you select a song, your effects unit will change to the desired reverb patch.

It wouldn't be as easy to reset back to the "no reverb" patch at the end of a song. Set List Maker has some Song Completion Actions, but these don't include the ability to send MIDI presets. Maybe in the future it could send a particular MIDI preset at the completion of each song; I'll put that on my wish list.

Until then, here are a few options:

- Create a MIDI preset for the "no reverb" patch and attach it to each song, then use a layout that includes Multiple MIDI Buttons, so you see the reverb patch and the "no reverb" patch on your screen, then tap the "no reverb" patch at the end of each song.

- Create a MIDI preset for the "no reverb" patch and create a song called "reset" and attach the patch to that song, then place that song after every song in your show, then use the Song Completion Action to select the next song upon completion. This is pretty hacky and the song count displayed for your shows would be doubled.

- Create a MIDI preset for the "no reverb" patch and attach it to each song, then record an automation track for each song that triggers that preset at the end of the song, or when you're done singing. I put this last because it would take a while to set up; you'd have to play the recording and start recording the automation track for each song and then wait, in real time, until the end of the song to record the final "no reverb" preset selection. But in a future update I plan to add a way to record automation events and then manually change their timing, so you could record the event at the beginning of the playback and then quickly move it to the end.

Danny

Once again Arlo

I thank you for all your help.

I will give your advice some though while I finish up my season with what I have at my disposal, right now, I don't own the IOS to midi device, I was waiting to see what units came out to suit the lightning port and also await the arrival of behringer x 18 desk.

With regard to the recording of automation tracks, I thought you could insert a midi command and then edit it's location in time already, I did have a look at this many months ago, maybe I am confused again,

Thanks

Danny

arlo

Quote from: Danny on October 14, 2014, 04:04:30 PM
With regard to the recording of automation tracks, I thought you could insert a midi command and then edit it's location in time already, I did have a look at this many months ago, maybe I am confused again,

You can, but only in 1/100 second intervals, so that's meant for fine-tuning, not for manually moving an event from the start to the end of a song.

Danny

skress

"Maybe in the future it could send a particular MIDI preset at the completion of each song; I'll put that on my wish list."

Arlo,

I can see lots of uses for such a feature.  I can think of a few features you'd want to turn on for a single song, then turn off, regardless of what song comes next.  Other effects, transpose, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

arlo

skress

Thanks, Arlo.  Just this week I find myself adding an Octave shift to my presents, then adding a second preset to shift back when the song's done, but I have to do that manually.

arlo

In the new app version released today, you can add one or more MIDI presets to your layouts to make them available from any song (Layouts > [layout name] > Edit Details > MIDI Presets). You can also edit your layout actions to send the Layout MIDI Presets upon song completion (Layouts > [layout name] > Edit Details > Actions). The song completion will be triggered by the end of an automation track, or the end of a recording if there's no automation track, or the defined song duration if there's no recording. You can also trigger the layout MIDI presets manually from an on-screen button or a foot switch. More info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1786.0.html