Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

"Shows" or "Set Lists"?

Started by arlo, October 21, 2014, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I rename the "Shows" button to "Set Lists"?

arlo

Early versions of Set List Maker had "set lists," but I renamed that to "shows" when I added fields for contact and payment information. This makes it more clear that if you want to play the same songs at two different events, you should duplicate the "show" rather than reusing the same "set list," so that you can enter both sets of event information. This also avoided the confusion that some people had about a "set list" containing multiple "sets" -- some people were creating three set lists for a show with three sets, rather than one set list with three sets (a.k.a., two breaks).

When I launched BandHelper, I went back to "set lists" in that product, because BandHelper lets you enter event information separately and attach a set list to an event. So it is more intuitive to enter event info for each event but reuse one set list across several events.

Now I'm considering renaming "shows" back to "set lists" in Set List Maker again. Here are some advantages:

- It would be easier for new users to figure out how to make a set list, since there's nothing called "set list" in the app currently
- It would be easier for me to share code and documentation between the two products

And the disadvantages:

- Current Set List Maker users would have to get used to a button labeled "Set Lists" instead of "Shows" (but the functionality wouldn't change)
- As before, some confusion about where to enter event info when reusing a set list
- As before, some confusion about the "set" vs. "set list" terminology

What do you think?

Joe_K

Sets are really parts of a Show, so unless you have a 1-n relationship between a Show and a number of Sets, I don't think it will ever feel entirely right.  I know that is not how it is constructed though and I'm ambivalent to what the entity is actually named.

Ideally:

Songs
Sets
Shows

Making it possible to construct sets like "Energetic", "Slow Dance", "Fist Pumping", etc. and mix them into a show OR just go to Sets and pick one ad-hoc and start playing the show.

arlo

Quote from: Joe_K on October 21, 2014, 05:56:33 PM
Ideally:

Songs
Sets
Shows

Making it possible to construct sets like "Energetic", "Slow Dance", "Fist Pumping", etc. and mix them into a show OR just go to Sets and pick one ad-hoc and start playing the show.

That's kind of how BandHelper works, except it has: Songs > Set Lists > Events. You can create a new set list for each event, or have standard set lists that you reuse for multiple events.

Set List Maker kind of works that way, too, insofar as you don't have to set a date or contact info for a Show. These undated shows appear at the top of your Shows list and are meant to be reused rather than tied to a specific performance. But you don't have any record of when you do reuse them, like you have with BandHelper's additional Events functionality.

Christoph

Quote from: arlo on November 19, 2014, 09:09:23 PMSet List Maker kind of works that way, too, insofar as you don't have to set a date or contact info for a Show. These undated shows appear at the top of your Shows list and are meant to be reused rather than tied to a specific performance.
This is exactly how we use SLM: Typically a gig has one set list that is an edited copy of either an older gig (= dated show) or one of our standard set lists (= undated show). So renaming shows into set lists would not make much of a difference for us: Thumbs up because it makes things easier for you.

dr_rollo

A Show in SLM contains more than only a Setlist. A Show mostly has several sets, and displaying and/or export the sets to a printer or email is actually the Setlist. So leave it as it is - it's great!
Just one wish btw: when exporting the setlist, the names of the Pause are not displayed.