Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

iPad stops sending midi after automatic lock

Started by mvhbakker, October 25, 2014, 02:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvhbakker

I'm using Setlistmaker on an iPad Mini (iOS 8.0.2) and iRig Midi to switch my synth programs by sending midi. It worked fine until a few weeks ago the iPad stopped sending midi after it had been in sleeping mode or had been switched off. The only way to get it to work again is a full restart of the iPad (so now I have to do that for the start of every new set during a show). It might be caused by iOS8, do you know of any similar problems (and solutions!)

arlo

I haven't heard of that problem, but I could test it when I work on the next update. Meanwhile, can you use the MIDI button in the top toolbar to toggle the MIDI engine off and on again when this happens?

mvhbakker

Yesterday I installed iOS 8.1, it looks like everything works fine again! I was able to toggle the MIDI button in the upper toolbar btw.
Thank you anyway, keep up the good work!

arlo

docborla2

Quote from: mvhbakker on October 25, 2014, 02:32:24 AM
I'm using Setlistmaker on an iPad Mini (iOS 8.0.2) and iRig Midi to switch my synth programs by sending midi. It worked fine until a few weeks ago the iPad stopped sending midi after it had been in sleeping mode or had been switched off. The only way to get it to work again is a full restart of the iPad (so now I have to do that for the start of every new set during a show). It might be caused by iOS8, do you know of any similar problems (and solutions!)
I am presently experiencing the same problem (ipad2 iOS 8.1.3) irig midi to switch banks. I'm not sure it is connected to sleep mode, but during sessions using SLM and even after launching SLM, I've had to restart my iPad to get it to send MIDI. (Seems more like a iOS problem than a SLM problem)

skress

I've had the same problem where my iPAD stopped sending signals while using SLM.  I thought it was due to a certain sequence of editing steps or something similar.  When it started happening a lot more over the last week, I realized it was when I got a "your device is not compatible" message and searched the web for it.  It seems it was likely related to either the iRig MIDI adaptor or the Lightening to 30-pin adaptor I was using.  I switched to the iRig MIDI II adaptor I had for my performance rig and the problem seems to have gone away.

riodanno

I have been using Setlist Maker for 2 years and started having the same issue a month ago. Once you login after iPad goes into the locked mode, it wont transmit the midi signals. I use my iPhone as a back up and sync my data from iPad. When I use my phone, no issue. I erased my iPad and then restored everything, and issue still exists. So I am assuming it is the iPad not the iRig. Any suggestions? Also for those that had this issue and switched to iRig 2, did that resolve the problem?

Thanks

arlo

I just did a quick test with an iPad 3 running iOS 8.1.3 and sending MIDI to a Mac via wi-fi. After locking and unlocking the device, MIDI was still sent correctly. Changing to other apps and back again didn't disrupt the MIDI functionality, either.

If you can try sending to a Mac or PC over wi-fi, that would tell you if the problem is related to your USB interface or not.

riodanno

Thanks for the tip. Not sure How to send over wifi and set up to run test. What program on PC would I use to try to communicate with?

arlo

You can install the RTP MIDI driver to connect wirelessly to your PC:

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

Then you can install MIDI-OX to view the messages sent to your PC:

http://www.midiox.com

Christoph

I have experienced such problems especially with the original iPad Mini (first one with Lightning connector) and the 3rd Gen iPad (last one with the 30 pin connector) and when I tried to charge the iPad simultaneously. My suspicion always was that the actual power demands from the iPads were not met fully by the interfaces and that for this reason the connection was not stable. I would try to always use a fully charged iPad so that there are no additional power demands from charging, this might help.

arlo

Interesting. I guess you could easily test that by disconnecting the power supply. How are you charging and using USB output at the same time? Do you have some kind of splitter adapter?

Christoph

Quote from: arlo on March 06, 2015, 08:33:40 AMHow are you charging and using USB output at the same time? Do you have some kind of splitter adapter?
The iRig MIDI (only the original one, not the II version) has a Mini USB connector to provide power to the iOS device from a USB power adapter. But the cable provided is ridiculously short so most users probably substitute or extend it. All in all this never worked very well for me. The Alesis iODock seems to be more stable, but especially the 3rd Gen iPad gets very hot while charging encased in the interface - again an indication that power demands are quite high and may not be fully met in certain situations.

riodanno

Hi Arlo -

I ran the test, as you suggested and midi signals were communicated over wifi. What do you recommend to do next? Is the iRig2 the solution? I was also thinking of erasing the iPad and only re-installing Setlist Maker to see if the issue is due to a conflict with another app. I just find it odd, that my iRig1 worked for 2 years and now, getting these results. I did a show last night, and as long as it the iPad doesn't lock, midi messages are communicated successfully.

Appreciate your help.

arlo

Here are some suggestions:

1) Don't erase and reinstall ... just restart your device and launch only Set List Maker. That should give the same result.

2) iOS 8.2 is coming soon, so you could wait and see if that makes a difference.

3) If the problem is with the iRig, that problem should occur with any app, so you could search other forums to look for someone who can confirm the problem.