Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

iRig MIDI 2

Started by ChrisH, October 30, 2014, 08:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisH

I have an iRig MIDI 2 device that works very nicely with Set List Maker (ver. 4.0.7) and an iPad 2 (IOS ver. 8.0.2) to send MIDI data to a Roland GR-55.  I installed SLM on an old iPhone (4S IOS ver. 7.1.2) so I could have a backup in case something happens to the iPad.  I enabled SLM's database sync on both devices and everything synced over to the iPhone successfully.  However, I cannot get the GR-55 to respond to the MIDI data sent from the iPhone.  I have verified the correct settings under SLM's "MIDI Devices" screen and also in the individual MIDI presets, but I have not been able to get it to work with the iPhone.  Do you have any suggestions?

arlo

What action are you taking in the app to send the presets?

ChrisH

I have "Send MIDI presets together" enabled and in some songs which have multiple presets I use automation to trigger them.

In the MIDI device setup screen for Port, I have selected USB MIDI Device and Channel 1.

arlo

For the songs where you're not using automation, how are you sending the presets?

When you send the presets, do you see the MIDI icon in the top toolbar blinking?

ChrisH

On the iPad when I select a song in the perform window that does not use automation, the MIDI is transmitted automatically and the GR-55 changes to the appropriate patch.  On the iPhone it does not do this.  If I tap on the MIDI icon in SLM, the little MIDI icon at the top of the screen blinks once.

I enabled MIDI Learn in the preset window on the iPhone and connected the cable to the MIDI In port on the iRig and SLM's MIDI icon flashed constantly and I was able to see MIDI data changing in SLM as I made changes on the GR-55.  So I at least know that the receive channel is functioning.

arlo

On the iPad when I select a song in the perform window that does not use automation, the MIDI is transmitted automatically

You must have Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions > Send MIDI Presets enabled on the iPad. Do you have that enabled on the iPhone, too?

ChrisH

QuoteYou must have Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions > Send MIDI Presets enabled on the iPad. Do you have that enabled on the iPhone, too?

It was not.  I turned it on.  But it did not make any difference.  I was assuming that database sync would replicate everything onto the other device.

arlo

The database sync doesn't copy your settings, because many settings are device-specific, e.g., based on the screen size of a device or the role it plays in your live setup.

When you select a song now, with that song selection turned on, do you see the MIDI icon in the top toolbar blink?

ChrisH

I was able to get it to work.  I laid the iPad and iPhone side by side and checked every single setting.  Here is what I discovered.

On the iPad, the iRig MIDI 2 appears as "USB MIDI Device".  However, on the iPhone, it appears as "iRig MIDI 2" and even though I changed the MIDI Device setting to iRig MIDI 2, the individual MIDI presets' "Port" field did not update with the newly selected MIDI device.  After changing the Port selection to iRIG MIDI 2, it began working.

Is the issue of the iRig MIDI 2 appearing as different device names on the iPad vs. the iPhone controlled by Set List Maker, something inherent in IOS, or an issue with the iRig MIDI 2?

Also, how can I be sure that the database sync process will not change any of the settings on the iPhone now that I have it working?

Thank you for your help.

arlo

On the iPad, the iRig MIDI 2 appears as "USB MIDI Device".  However, on the iPhone, it appears as "iRig MIDI 2" and even though I changed the MIDI Device setting to iRig MIDI 2, the individual MIDI presets' "Port" field did not update with the newly selected MIDI device.  After changing the Port selection to iRIG MIDI 2, it began working.

Okay, that makes sense.

Is the issue of the iRig MIDI 2 appearing as different device names on the iPad vs. the iPhone controlled by Set List Maker, something inherent in IOS, or an issue with the iRig MIDI 2?

I'm guessing it's a difference between iOS 7 and iOS 8 on your two devices, or maybe a difference in the USB hardware on the two devices.

Also, how can I be sure that the database sync process will not change any of the settings on the iPhone now that I have it working?

The edits you make to the MIDI presets on one device will overwrite the edits you make on another device (unless you disable the syncing of MIDI presets in Settings > Database Sync). I would recommend clearing the port selection from all your MIDI presets so they send to any connected port; then moving presets from one device to the other won't be an issue. You generally only need to specify the port for a MIDI preset if you are connecting multiple ports and you only want the MIDI messages to go to one of them.

ChrisH

QuoteI would recommend clearing the port selection from all your MIDI presets so they send to any connected port; then moving presets from one device to the other won't be an issue. You generally only need to specify the port for a MIDI preset if you are connecting multiple ports and you only want the MIDI messages to go to one of them.

At one time I had also been connecting a Voice Live Play unit as well which is why I had used the port options.  But I am no longer doing so, so I will go ahead and clear the port selection from the presets as well as disabling MIDI preset syncing.

Happy Halloween!

arlo

At one time I had also been connecting a Voice Live Play unit as well which is why I had used the port options.  But I am no longer doing so, so I will go ahead and clear the port selection from the presets as well as disabling MIDI preset syncing.

Even if you are connected to multiple devices, if they are listening on different channels you still wouldn't need to specify a port. MIDI program change and control change messages are channel-specific, and you can usually configure your devices to listen on different channels.

Happy Halloween!

Thanks! I have to wrap up my work before the trick-or-treaters start arriving.