Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Rtp midi on IOS

Started by Gkup, October 29, 2014, 07:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gkup

I read this on your site under tutorials:
The iOS version uses Core MIDI, and should be compatible with other Core MIDI devices like the IK Multimedia iRig, Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer II, or Alesis iO Dock as well as wireless MIDI devices. The Android version can send and receive MIDI over RTP (wireless) or USB.

Does the Ipad version support RTP? Sorry, but I'm new to all this and I don't know if RTP was Implied when you stated wireless MIDI devices or if that is a separate type of protocol. I'm trying to connect SLM via MIDI to my Behringer X32 Rack to change scenes. I'm having no success using my Alesis IO dock MIDI out (wired) to the x32's MIDI in port. There is an RTP setting under my MIDI menu on the X32 so I'd like to try that. If anyone here has connected SLM and the Behringer X32 Rack I'd love to hear about how you did it. Thanks for your help.

arlo

I think that Core MIDI uses RTP for its wi-fi connections, so it should work if the other device has the functionality to initiate the connection:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_MIDI#RTP-MIDI_on_iOS

Gkup

Thank you Arlo. It still doesn't work for me. I'm pretty sure the problem lies on the X32 side. Again if anyone here has gotten SLM to work with their Behringer X32 I sure would love to hear from you. I have 3 options available on the X32 for wired MIDI. They are MACKIE MIDI, MIDI CC and HUI. Not sure of which one of those I should be using either. I'll ask the folks over at the Behringer forum to see if anyone is using SLM.

rad3d

I can validate that rtpMidi works fine on Setlist Maker between iOS devices, Mac and Windows machines running the rtpMidi driver.

Also have a Behringer X32 - didn't realize it had RTP yet.  Will take a look and give it a try.

Gkup

If you're able to get that working, please share your SLM and X32 settings. I can't get MIDI working at all. Wired or wireless. Im getting pretty frustrated and I'm sure it's something silly that I just don't have set correctly. Thanks.

arlo

If you want to ask Mackie tech support or the Mackie forum, you could ask about iOS in general rather than Set List Maker in particular. Almost all iOS apps use Core MIDI, so they would connect and send messages to other devices in the same way.

Gkup

I've been reading all I can about RTP and I have a question. Do you have to use RTP with a computer? Or can SLM talk directly to my X32 that also implements RTP? From what I've read everyone mentions a Windows or Mac computer when referring to RTP. Usage.  Thanks for your help.

arlo

I don't see why the other device would need to be a computer per se, but it would need to have the functionality to initiate or host the connection, since iOS doesn't have that capability.

Gkup

Well, on top of not knowing what I'm doing when it comes to MIDI, I just discovered that I was trying to set all this up with not 1 but 2 bad MIDI cables. It's all working fine now wired to my X32. I'll try the wireless setup at some later date. I'm just happy it's working at this point. Thank you for all your help Arlo. Keep up the fantastic work you're doing on this app and the phenomenal support you provide.

arlo