Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Controlling patch changes from Kronos

Started by jeebustrain, November 04, 2014, 07:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeebustrain

Hi guys,

I currently use a Korg Kronos live with my band and it's Setlist feature to do (on a more basic level) what Setlist Manager does. It has a little slot for song notes and it's semi-easy to re-order patches for live sets. I'd like, however to transition over to using SetList Maker instead, just for the added flexibility. Anyway, I have it connected via MIDI and I have a test gig set up with songs with MIDI Presets to control patch changes inside the Kronos (easy peasy).

The problem I'm having is that I'd really like to avoid having to pick up something like an AirTurn to automate sequential song/preset changes with a pedal. I'm currently using a BOSS FS-5U in the switch port on the back, programmed to Pg+ to cycle through the Kronos Setlist slots. I've tried reassigning it to multiple values (soft, sostenuto, seq start, stop, etc...) and try to assign the appropriate item inside Setlist Maker. I've tried 'Next MIDI Preset,' 'next song,' 'next screen,' 'next page,' etc.. and nothing appears to work the way I want. I've scoured the manual and I just can't seem to make it work.

I'm not looking to do anything terribly complex, basically, I'd like to just sequentially cycle forward through stuff like this with a single pedal (each of these signifies a different combi slot on the Kronos)

1 Song 1 - Preset 1
2 Song 1 - Preset 2
3 Song 1 - Preset 3
4 Song 2 - Preset 1
5 Song 3 - Preset 1

All of the other features of Setlist Maker make me really want to use it. If I can get this to work, I'm almost considering getting a Band Helper membership, if anything just to have the ability to enter in data over the web.

arlo

There's no way to click through multiple presets per song, and then multiple songs, with a single pedal. That's on my wish list and I'll add a vote for you. Meanwhile, you would need two pedals, one to change songs and one to click through the presets for the current song.

Does your keyboard have a programmable button that you could use instead of a second pedal? Then you could use the button to change songs and the pedal to change presets within the song.

jeebustrain

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a way to get SLM to respond to CC#82? It's designated "footswitch" in my Kronos. It would be awesome if the feature to step through all the presets/songs in sequential order was implemented.

There are lots of buttons/controllers on the Kronos, but other than the pedal, they are generally all set at a program level. I'm thinking at this point I'm going to need to just pick up a bluetooth pedal.

arlo

Yes, CC#82 is General Purpose Button 3, which you can assign in Settings > Remote Control.

jeebustrain

Hi - thanks for the clarification. The midi CC chart I was referencing last night listed those General Purpose buttons as CC#16-19. Thanks for setting me straight

:)

arlo

Some of the MIDI charts are ambiguous on that point, but Set List Maker uses CC 80-83 for the General Purpose Buttons.

arlo

In the new app version released today, you can go to Settings > Remote Control and assign a message to the Next MIDI Preset or Song action. Then that action will select the next MIDI preset for a song until it reaches the last preset, then the same action will select the next song. More info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1786.0.html