Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SLM sending MIDI to BOSS GT 100?

Started by Moon Dog, November 26, 2014, 10:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moon Dog

Is anyone out there using SLM with any of the BOSS GT products?

I am testing a USB connection from SLM to my BOSS GT 100 but not getting any patches to change.

When I connect the Camera Connection Kit+USB cable I get a message that the GT 100 is not supported?

Anyone successfully connected and been able to transmit MIDI from SLM to Boss GT processors?

Thanks in Advance.

Moon Dog.

Pongo

Hi `Doctor',

Are you using an aftermarket CCK and/or USB cable by chance?

AFAIK, they must be Apple products to work.

Christoph

Most Roland/Boss products including the GT100 don't have driver-less class compliant USB interfaces and therefore are not compatible with the camera connection kit. You need a separate iOS MIDI interface that connects to the GT's MIDI ports.

Moon Dog

Christoph....
That is some important information to know....
So I need something like the iRig MIDI....would that work?
Thanks.
Moon Dog

Moon Dog

Quote from: Pongo on November 26, 2014, 11:25:48 AM
Hi `Doctor',

Are you using an aftermarket CCK and/or USB cable by chance?

AFAIK, they must be Apple products to work.
Hey Pongo.....at work they call me Professor now I am a doctor...don't let me operate on anyone though.....ha
I have a genuine Max Markup Apple CCK.
Thanks for the post.

Moon Dog

Christoph

Quote from: Moon Dog on November 26, 2014, 12:30:14 PMSo I need something like the iRig MIDI....would that work?
Yep, that should do it. More info about USB vs. MIDI in this post.

Moon Dog

So I bit the bullet and bought an iRIG MIDI.

Everything is now working.

I actually go into a MIDI splitter that provides 2 Thru Outputs

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIthru2

Then 1 Thru goes to my VoiceLive 3
The other to my Boss GT 100

The settings for the Program Changes for the GT are different than those for the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3.

For the GT the Preset looks like this:

Bank MSB: 0 or 1 or 2 or 3
Bank LSB: Blank
Program Number: Program - 1

Now I can send simultaneous messages to both units and everything works perfect.

Thanks to Christoph for the sage wisdom....
Hope this post helps others.

Moon Dog

Pongo

Couldn't you have accomplished the same result by just using the midi thru from the VL3 to feed the midi in on your GT 100?

You would have needed to setup different midi presets for each device (using different midi channels), but...that should have worked, right?

Anyway, glad you're up and running!

Christoph

Quote from: Pongo on November 26, 2014, 11:54:02 PMCouldn't you have accomplished the same result by just using the midi thru from the VL3 to feed the midi in on your GT 100?
The VL3 like many of today's devices unfortunately does not have a MIDI Thru connector, not even a software THRU for the OUT port.

Quote from: Pongo on November 26, 2014, 11:54:02 PMYou would have needed to setup different midi presets for each device (using different midi channels)
That is the case anyway because the splitter only doubles the one single MIDI output port from the iRig for two receiving devices. And just to not confuse or mix up the terms: One single SLM MIDI Preset can contain any number of different MIDI preset change commands on any MIDI channel - either directly in the MSB/LSB/Preset Change fields and/or as raw MIDI data.

Pongo

Ah...I didn't realize the VL3 had that limitation. I'm using the older VL2.