Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Why do the MSB/LSB fields only show up for certain midi devices?

Started by jeebustrain, December 15, 2014, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeebustrain

So I'm in the process of changing my setup (again) and I'm trying to run iPad through an iConnectMIDI4+ device to connect to the rest of my gear. Previously I had just been directly connecting it to my Korg Kronos via USB and it worked pretty well.

The problem that I'm having is that I'm trying to set the MIDI presets for the new interface. In the oresets I had before, I had set "KRONOS SOUND" as the midi device. This gave me an MSB/LSB/Program set of fields, which allowed me to set all of my program change information. Now, if I change the device to the correct iConnectMIDI4+ port (there are 16 of them), the fields are hidden. If I plug it back into the Kronos and change it back to that, my program change data reappears.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

arlo

On the MIDI Preset edit page, Set List Maker will only show MIDI devices that use the same port as that preset. So if you selected a port for a MIDI device, then you need to select the same port for the MIDI preset.

Unless you need to route messages to a specific port and exclude it from the others, it's generally easier to not select ports for either the MIDI devices or the MIDI presets.

jeebustrain

thanks Arlo. Is there any way to change that after the fact? I have about 80 presets with the port set. I remember when I initially created  the presets (by inputting them in a csv file when I did the initial import), I couldn't get those 3 fields to appear until I set a port manually. That's actually the only reason I initially set them (one at a time per preset).

I just did a test and created a new midi preset. The msb/lsb/program fields will not show up no matter what I do. All I see in that section is the text field for raw midi. Am I doing something wrong?

jeebustrain

crap - never mind. I need to slow down sometimes. I forgot I had set up the Kronos as a MIDI Device. I set one up for the particular iConnect port I was using and the fields now appear.

arlo

Quote from: jeebustrain on December 15, 2014, 06:48:41 PM
I remember when I initially created  the presets (by inputting them in a csv file when I did the initial import), I couldn't get those 3 fields to appear until I set a port manually. That's actually the only reason I initially set them (one at a time per preset).

That's probably because at that time, all your MIDI devices had ports selected. As soon as you add a MIDI device, then you can only enter program changes that are associated with a MIDI device. And as soon as you set the port on a MIDI device, then you can only enter program changes for that device if the MIDI preset is set to use the same port. So if all your devices have ports selected and your MIDI preset has no port selected, no program change fields will appear. The port selections are basically filters, and you can end up hiding everything from yourself if you're not careful.

You could simplify your setup by removing the port settings from the MIDI devices and MIDI presets, but there's no way to remove them all at once; you'd have to edit each of your MIDI presets.