Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

How do I send program changes to multiple devices?

Started by kiltak, January 14, 2015, 08:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiltak

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Any help would be appreciated.

I've got two devices
SLM -> PODHD500 -> Nord Stage EX

POD is channel 16, Nord is channel 1

I'm trying to set up a MIDI preset that sends a program change to both devices.  When I send the preset, the patch on my Nord changes, but not on my POD.  If I set up a MIDI Preset with just a change to the POD (leaving the Nord blank) the POD program changes as expected.  I'm pretty sure I've got the devices set to the correct MIDI channel based on the fact that MIDI Presets using only one device work as expected.

I've also created two separate MIDI Presets (one for POD and one for Nord).  When I 'Add MIDI Presets' and include the POD preset with the Nord preset everything works as expected.  I would prefer not to have to create multiple MIDI Presets for each song.

To double check myself, I plugged SLM to MIDI-OX and verified that only the Nord program change is going out when I'm trying to send Nord and POD changes.

I've tried Settings->Audio & MIDI->Send MIDI Presets together both on and off.

If anyone has any suggestions to try I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Chris

arlo

If you send a message from Help > Request Tech Support, I can verify your setup. If you leave the setup for the different options you described above, and specify the buttons you are pressing to trigger each option and the results you are getting, that would be even better.

Christoph

Mmh, I have tested MIDI communication over WiFi with several apps and devices and was not able to reproduce the behavior. My SLM MIDI presets also include several PC and CC messages on several channels. I send data with both the program change and the raw MIDI data fields. On stage, I am using almost exactly your setup, Chris, with a POD HD500 and another MIDI device and had no such problems. I suspect your MIDI interface might be the culprit - do you have the chance to test a different one or MIDI over WiFi?

kiltak

Thanks for the replies.  I sent an email through the program.

I also tried a different MIDI connector (midiman), but the iPad doesn't power it, so it doesn't work.  I've never done MIDI over Wifi, so I'll have to look into that.

Thanks,
Chris

arlo

I got your email with the examples, but I'll reply here for others to see.

There's no reason why a MIDI preset with two program changes (your "Better Man" preset) should work differently than two presets with one program change each, linked together (your "Btr Man Added Midi" preset with "Btr Mn Gtr" attached). I loaded your presets onto my iPad and both program changes in the Better Man preset were received by my Mac, so it appears the problem is with your other devices or the connections between them.

You can test the MIDI interface by sending from the iPad through the interface to a computer and then running a MIDI monitoring app on the computer to see if both messages are sent out from the MIDI interface.

You could also try connecting only to the POD, without the Nord, in case the POD or the Nord is somehow consuming messages addressed to the other device. Some MIDI devices exhibit bugs like that when receiving simultaneous messages.

And this is a long shot, but adding bank MSB and/or LSB numbers to your program changes might make a difference.

kiltak

Thanks for the quick responses.  Looks like I'll have to troubleshoot my hardware.

Chris