Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Guitar input and midi out..

Started by Chrisskidgel, January 21, 2015, 08:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisskidgel

Hey there. Is there a device that would allow for a guitar in to the iPad, and a midi out of the iPad, at the same time? I already use SLM to control my jamup app. Now I want it to send midi commands to my keyboard to change patches for songs. Can I do this?

Pongo

Chrisskidgel

So the guita end would have to be analog, so to speak? Is there a lightning unit that would support both?

Pongo

Christoph

There are indeed several options that have audio and MIDI inputs and outputs simultaneously, e.g.:

Pongo

Yes, but the guitar `end' would still be analog.

The iRig devices would certainly be an economical option, unless the OP needs all the extra bells and whistles, IMHO.

arlo

A guitar is analog by definition, and it's just a matter of whether the signal is converted to digital in an external unit or inside the iPad, right?

Chrisskidgel

Forgive me if I didn't explain my needs well. For a live setup, with the iPad on a mic stand, I have a sonic port velcroed to the bottom, where my input and output is. I was hoping there was a product similar to the sonic port that might have midi out as well. Trying to keep the setup discreet and whatnot. I'd like to send patch changes to my roland keyboard using SLM as a controller, as well as controlling changes in jamup, which it does flawlessly now. I Want to use the Lightning port for the guitar as well as midi. What do you boys think? Can it be done?

Christoph

Quote from: Chrisskidgel on January 21, 2015, 06:54:33 PMI was hoping there was a product similar to the sonic port that might have midi out as well.
As far as I know not in such a small form factor. The most rugged options would be the ones mentioned above, you can even mount most of them to a mic stand. And do not forget: They will power your iPad.

You could also transmit MIDI wirelessly from the iPad to the keyboard, but you would need a bunch of additional equipment, e.g. a laptop with MIDI interface - not the best option if you want it small and simple.

Pongo

Quote from: Christoph on January 22, 2015, 05:58:23 AM

You could also transmit MIDI wirelessly from the iPad to the keyboard, but you would need a bunch of additional equipment, e.g. a laptop with MIDI interface - not the best option if you want it small and simple.

This would work and it's only ~ $45 USD:
http://www.amazon.com/QUICCO-SOUND-Wireless-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00PEFOOFI

The external MIDI device must provide voltage from the MIDI out port to power the mi.1