Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Several questions about Set List Maker

Started by neirbod, February 18, 2015, 06:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neirbod

Hello,

I am testing SLM as well as some similar apps to find the best solution for my band. So far SLM show a lot of promise, but I have some issues and questions I hope someone can help me answer.  I am using an iPad 2:

1) I made a test database and added a song manually using ChordPro format for lyrics. I then made a copy of this song so I would have two songs to work with as I tested the app.  I am having trouble with the size of the lyrics.  The two songs display different font sizes. I can change the size when I pinch out or in, but these changes are not retained when I leave this view (e.g., go back to the database view) and then return to the song.  Each song defaults to its own size, but I don't see what setting may be affecting this.

2) ChordPro display issues - I imported another song in ChordPro format and it is not displaying properly. The chords are displaced to the left, not appearing over the correct word. I know the file itself is correct as 1) I viewed the source file, and 2) it works correctly in other chordpro apps. Hopefully this is just user error on my part.

3) I have some questions about the database and the server on which it is stored.  I understand there is a proprietary server used for backups and to sync among devices.  Is there another option? For example, could I export a database to a file on my computer, and then upload it to other devices without using your servers?   Better yet, could the database be synced to a Dropbox account where all band members could access it? 

4) Syncing - Can I sync databases among IOS and Android devices?  Can this be done either through your server and auto-sync, or by exporting/importing to files on my computer?

Thanks,

David

arlo

1) I made a test database and added a song manually using ChordPro format for lyrics. I then made a copy of this song so I would have two songs to work with as I tested the app.  I am having trouble with the size of the lyrics.  The two songs display different font sizes. I can change the size when I pinch out or in, but these changes are not retained when I leave this view (e.g., go back to the database view) and then return to the song.  Each song defaults to its own size, but I don't see what setting may be affecting this.

To save the font sizes after zooming them, tap the center of the lyrics to show a toolbar, then tap the checkmark icon to save (or the x icon to reset the size), then tap the center again to hide the toolbar.

2) ChordPro display issues - I imported another song in ChordPro format and it is not displaying properly. The chords are displaced to the left, not appearing over the correct word. I know the file itself is correct as 1) I viewed the source file, and 2) it works correctly in other chordpro apps. Hopefully this is just user error on my part.

Did you set Settings > Appearance > Lyrics Font to Monospace? That is necessary for ChordPro alignment in the Lyrics field. The Chords field always uses the Monospace font.

3) I have some questions about the database and the server on which it is stored.  I understand there is a proprietary server used for backups and to sync among devices.  Is there another option? For example, could I export a database to a file on my computer, and then upload it to other devices without using your servers?   Better yet, could the database be synced to a Dropbox account where all band members could access it? 

No, you can only sync through my server. This provides functionality like conflict checking and rollbacks that would not be available if you emailed a file or used Dropbox.

4) Syncing - Can I sync databases among IOS and Android devices?  Can this be done either through your server and auto-sync, or by exporting/importing to files on my computer?

Yes, my sync system works between iOS and Android.

If you're just getting started, you could also consider BandHelper, which does everything Set List Maker does and also has a web interface so you can edit data from your computer:

http://www.bandhelper.com/main/SLM_comparison.html

neirbod

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive responses, Arlo. This will help a lot.

Assuming my other issues are resolved with your guidance, my only remaining concern is the need to sync through your server. I have seen numerous instances where well-meaning companies go out of business for one reason or another, and any cloud-based solutions they provide go away as well.  Relying completely on your server for database sharing or backup makes me reluctant to invest in your system, which is relatively complicated and will take time to set up.  Do you have any plans to allow users to update and share databases by other means?  This would add a lot to my own confidence in your system.

No offense meant, and I hope and expect you will stay in business a long time. But I thought the same about Gobbler cloud storage and they ended up suddenly dropping Windows support, leaving me and many others in a difficult position. 

arlo

You are not reliant on my system for backups, because iOS and Android have their own device-wide backup systems. My sync system adds some capabilities that the native backup systems don't have (the ability to undo one change at a time), but the native systems don't involve me at all.

Syncing between devices without a remote server would require rebuilding the sync functionality, and leaving out many of the current sync capabilities. I don't have any plans to do that.

The BandHelper web interface has functions to export your songs, events and financial transactions as tab-delimited text files, so you could use that to migrate away from my service if needed.

I actually think a bigger threat than me going out of business is Apple suddenly declining to approve my apps. This is one of the main reasons I set up BandHelper, which has a web service as its foundation, and developed Android versions of Set List Maker and BandHelper, so I could continue functioning without Apple if needed.

MickeyKeys

Quote from: arlo on February 18, 2015, 11:31:33 AM

I actually think a bigger threat than me going out of business is Apple suddenly declining to approve my apps. This is one of the main reasons I set up BandHelper, which has a web service as its foundation, and developed Android versions of Set List Maker and BandHelper, so I could continue functioning without Apple if needed.

You don't, I hope, think that's a serious possibility?

I liked what I saw of SLM so much I bought a Mini specifically to run it. I was told in the Apple Store I had 30 days to return it if it wasn't  working for me.

Liked SLM enough keep the Mini, later made the jump to Bandhelper. My mild annoyance at then seeing an Android release right after that was more than offset by my delight at the prospect of being able to screen-share with two Android tablets I already had.

I've been eagerly waiting for them to sign off on 2.1.2 with the improvements.

If they yank the rug out from under us I'll start looking for a witch doctor to put a curse on Steve Jobs' heirs and assigns :) .

Seriously, I won't take it out on you, but I'll be livid, and I probably won't be the only one.
- Mike

"I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage,
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right".

arlo

You don't, I hope, think that's a serious possibility?

Just a few hours after I wrote that, Apple blocked the next BandHelper release due to an apparently new interpretation of the app review rules, so yes. I'm still trying to figure out what hoops I need to jump through to get that released.

I'm not saying this to say that you should panic or regret your purchase decision, just to add some perspective to the mobile development landscape.

MickeyKeys

Quote from: arlo on February 18, 2015, 11:26:43 PM
Just a few hours after I wrote that, Apple blocked the next BandHelper release due to an apparently new interpretation of the app review rules, so yes. I'm still trying to figure out what hoops I need to jump through to get that released.

Yet they were apparently fine with SLM 4.1.2. Hah, go figure. Maybe if BH were a paid app they'd like it better, LOL ... But forgive a cantankerous old man his cynicism. ;)
- Mike

"I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage,
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right".