Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Setting Up A Network Onstage

Started by Ruckman65, February 20, 2015, 06:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckman65

I want to have two or more iPads on stage able to access a wifi network. I have the iPads and an Apple Extreme but am not sure how to configure things. I tend to think the Apple Extreme may not be the right component to use in this setup as it seems it must be attached to an existing network with internet access. I have seen instances where a 'local' network is provided by a router which each iPad can access. Any and all help would be gratefully accepted. 

arlo

I have an Apple Airport Extreme and it can create a wi-fi network that your devices can connect to, even if it is not connected to the Internet.

With the default setup, the Airport will create a wi-fi network and serve DHCP addresses to the devices. If that's the case, you can just turn it on and connect your devices to its network and you're done.

If your unit isn't doing that, you can configure it to do that, or reset it to the default settings.

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. Thank you for the advice. When I switch on the Airport Extreme (4th gen) in its default state, nothing happens, apart from the amber light on the front of the unit flashing. After installing the Airport Utility software on to my PC, it still does not recognize the unit until a network cable has been plugged into its WAN port connected to my modem. I can then configure it in the software on my PC. Once configured, the green light on the unit goes solid and my iPad and PC can see it as a network device. If I then switch off the unit, remove the cable from the WAN port and switch it back on, once again, neither my PC or iPad can see the device and the amber light flashes. I figure I must be missing something in the configuration but I cannot determine what that is. I expected to be able to just switch it on in its default state and it would create its own network which my devices would be able to join.

arlo

Do you mean if you start up the unit with no Internet connection, it doesn't advertise a wi-fi network, but if you start it up with an Internet connection, it does advertise a wi-fi network?

What happens if you start it with an Internet connection, then unplug the Internet cable? Does the wi-fi network go away?

Ruckman65

If I restart the unit with the cable connected between its WAN port and the modem, after about 30 seconds, it advertises a wi-fi network. As soon as I unplug the cable, the wi-fi network is no longer available. When starting the unit without the internet cable attached, it does not advertise a wi-fi network. Are there any settings that should be customized in the software or should it create a wi-fi network by default.

arlo

On the Wireless tab, did you select "create a wireless network," and on the Network tab, did you select "DHCP and NAT"?

Ruckman65

I did select "create a wireless network" but could find no specific Network tab. I have attached a Word document with screen dumps of each page of the setup.

arlo

A search for "airport windows DHCP" led me to this page, which says that the third-party Windows software used to manage an Airport base station doesn't support editing the DHCP settings:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/airport_pc.htm

I don't know how to tell if the Airport is providing DHCP addresses without accessing those settings. I think they would be turned on by default after a factory reset, but I'm not sure. Maybe a friend with a Mac can help you get into the settings.