Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Vertical vs Horizontal Orientation and PDFs

Started by chuckpuckett, March 04, 2015, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckpuckett

I just loaded lots of PDFs with lyrics (sometimes lyrics and chords, that being the only way I can see to associate chords to the song in a meaningful way). Anyway, having done that, I started using SLM, which seems to work fine when my iPad is oriented "horizontally" (or perhaps one might say in "Landscape" orientation; ie, sideways). However, if I put it in "vertical" (or "Portrait") orientation, SLM only displays in part of the available space. One of the reasons to prefer Portrait is to be able to see more of the song at one time. However, SLM seems to cheat me out of the extra space. I've attached a JPG showing how SLM behaves in the two orientations. In Portrait, there's a significant hunk of blank screen real estate at the bottom below the PDF.

Is there a remedy for this? A setting? A workaround?

While I'm at it, I notice that when "playing" a PDF, SLM treats the whole page as part of the length in calculating scrolling. That is, if there is no more text on the last page, SLM continues to scroll to the bottom of the page, essentially treating all that blank area as lyrics. I realize that detecting when the words stop in a PDF document may not be easy. Still, I imagine it's not impossible. So at the end of the song, there go my last lyrics scrolling out of sight just when I need them.

Any work around for this? One thing I tried was changing the page size for the final page to be only as long as the text extended, but that didn't seem to work. If I use a Word doc(x) instead of PDF, would SLM do any better in this regard? Anyone know?

Thanks for any help. I've been tweaking all our songs so that SLM will autoscroll in a reasonable fashion, and also maximizing font size for clarity. Trying to avoid the expense of a footpedal controller. Not only expense, there's already a lot of pedals down there to keep up with.  :)
Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show... I only want to borrow it for a while"
www.puckettpublishing.com
www.bimini-road.com

arlo

It looks like you need to switch to one of the layouts that's sized for portrait orientation, like "Song Only - Portrait." More info is on this page:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/changing_layouts.html

chuckpuckett

Well, that certainly heads in the right direction.

Anyway to remove the title bar? I don't really need to know the title of the song I am currently playing.

tapping on the title did not offer a popup to remove it like controls on the bottom bar do
Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show... I only want to borrow it for a while"
www.puckettpublishing.com
www.bimini-road.com

arlo

No, there's no way to remove the top toolbar.