Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Handling several documents

Started by Christoph, March 10, 2015, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoph

Hi Arlo, we typically have lyrics in our songs and several documents, e.g. PDF sheets for the different instruments. Is the app supposed to remember the last used document (or lyrics) per user? I think in Set List Maker this was the case, but BandHelper seems to open always the first document for a song.

arlo

No, Set List Maker doesn't remember the last used document per user. But it does let you turn off the syncing of the document sequence so that each user can save a different sequence.

In BandHelper, this works a little differently. Instead of having personal sequences of documents, you can mark a document itself as personal. So if you attach five documents to a song but only one is marked as personal for me, that's the only document I'll see regardless of its position in the overall sequence.

Christoph

Thanks for this clarification!

I still have problems to get this to work: I have marked all documents that I want to have on my device as personal, but still the unmarked ones are showing up in the songs and are being copied to my devices after a local data reset. If you want, we can move this trouble shouting discussion from the forum to a separate email request.

What if I only want to see lyrics/chords (e.g. singers) and no documents at all? There would always have to be at least one document marked as personal that all the others do not show up?

arlo

I still have problems to get this to work: I have marked all documents that I want to have on my device as personal, but still the unmarked ones are showing up in the songs and are being copied to my devices after a local data reset.

You will see all the documents that are marked as personal for you, or not marked as personal for anyone.

What if I only want to see lyrics/chords (e.g. singers) and no documents at all?

You will see only the lyrics if all the documents are marked as personal for someone else.

There is no way to hide documents from yourself, only to hide them from others by marking them as personal to yourself. So one way to set this up is to attach documents and lyrics in a sequence so that any documents used only by one person appears first, then the shared or default document appears last. Then the people who have their specific documents would mark them as personal, hiding them from everyone else, and everyone else would fall back to the default at the end of the list.

The limitations of the current system are that a band leader can't select specific documents each band member (it is up to the band members to mark their own documents as personal), and you can't share documents in groups (a personal document is only seen by one person). I plan to address these limitations in a future update. I already have the structure in place on the back end, I just have to figure out the best way to present the additional options in the interface.

arlo

In the website and app updates released today, you can assign a document to any number of users. So now a band leader can set up document assignments for their band members. Documents not assigned to you will appear in the Documents list, but not in the set list view. By default, documents are assigned to all the users.