Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Recording Midi patches for DMX lighting

Started by SteveDallas, March 18, 2015, 07:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDallas

Just a little background on how I have Set List Maker set up:

- I have the app set to automatically play the songs in show mode, when touched.

I am having an issue with recording automated tracks:
---For recording
1) I have setup around 80 midi presets (which are patch changes for our DMX lighting console). I add between 6-8 different presets per song.
2) I go into the song and have the automation button on the screen, record button, and playback controls.
3) I hold the automation button and then hit play.
4) While the song is playing, I am selecting the midi presets, to the beat of the music.
5) The song finishes, and I hit the automation button again to stop.
--- For playback
1) I go into show mode and hit the song title, which automatically plays the song.
2) The song stops almost immediately because the automation has recorded my song/start stop, and since the song is already playing, it now stops, and the midi presets keep going.
- If I go into automation_edit and remove the start/stop at the beginning of the song, the automation is now several seconds off.

I am probably missing something very simple. :)
I don't need to record automated starts and stops. All I want to do is record the midi patch changes. Is there a menu option to stop it recording starts/stops?

Thanks in advance!
~Steve

arlo

It sounds like you are using a song selection action to play a recording when you select a song. In that case, the playback action shouldn't be recorded into the automation track, because it would have already started when you start recording the automation track. But in this case it would be difficult to synchronize the automation track with the recording because the recording has a head start.

Instead, you should turn off the song selection action and then start recording the automation track, then play the recording, and let that action be recorded into the automation track. Then you would only start the automation track, not the recording, with a song selection action.

If this doesn't answer your question, please use the Help > Request Tech Support button in the app so I can see your settings.

BTW you're using the word "song" to mean both "song" and "recording," but these are two different things. Here's the terminology I use:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/glossary.html

SteveDallas

Thanks Arlo. I turned off the "start recording" function from song selection. Now, when I press the name of the song from the list on the left (in the perform window), the automation starts, which includes the recording start function within the automation. That solves my issue and works.