Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Crashes while screen sharing

Started by MickeyKeys, January 18, 2015, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyKeys

I was all jazzed up at the prospect of being able to screen-cast from my mini to a couple of Android tablets I have. Still am, actually. This will be the piece de resistance to this terrific software.

I've been at it most of today trying to test this on previous set lists. I cannot get through as many as three consecutive songs witnout BH crashing on the iPad.

I've not been able to establish a real pattern yet... I keep changing things to try and figure out what if anything might be cause and effect.

Set list settings are to close a document window at the end of a song (based on duration) and select the next song in the list.

All songs we perform have durations entered, and I trigger the scrolling manually on each, then I double-tap to expand the lyric sheet. Most docs are text in the lyrics field which I usually have ChordPro formatted in mono space font. Some are PDFs. I don't use any other formats.

So, i called up a set list and ran thru it as though I were at a gig, with screen broadcast turned off.
No problems. Next I turned on broadcasting but did not connect any devices. Still no worries.

When I connected either or both of the android tablets as video slaves, my crashes began anew. I changed songs, set lists, even changed wifi connections from my home router to my portable hotspot (which amazingly is actually stronger than the home connection), all without success.

The only common factors I have noticed:

The crashes always seem to come about 2/3 of the way during the scrolling of a song; and never once during a song whose lyrics/chords are saved as PDFs.

Obviously reformatting 100-plus songs doesn't solve the problem.

Wondered if anyone else is bumping heads with this...  Also makes me wonder if it is practical to include some kind of feature that can reopen the app at the same point it was exited. Might aid in quick on-stage recoveries and/or picking up where you left off on the tour bus (HA-like I'll be on a tourbus anytime soon LOL).

Arlo, thanks for your fine work. I look forward to years of happy usage.

- Mike

"I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage,
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right".

arlo

I'll try reproducing the problem with screen sharing during auto-scrolling. Meanwhile, can you ...

1) See if any crashes occur while using the app and NOT auto-scrolling?

2) Send me a crash log using the instructions on this page? http://www.bandhelper.com/support/help.html

Also makes me wonder if it is practical to include some kind of feature that can reopen the app at the same point it was exited. Might aid in quick on-stage recoveries and/or picking up where you left off on the tour bus

If you leave the app normally and return relatively soon, it should reopen to where you left it. But if you return to the app much later (the amount of time would depend on what other apps you use in the meantime), or if the app crashes, it will reset back to the main menu.

MickeyKeys

Quote from: arlo on January 18, 2015, 07:02:04 PM
I'll try reproducing the problem with screen sharing during auto-scrolling. Meanwhile, can you ...

1) See if any crashes occur while using the app and NOT auto-scrolling?

2) Send me a crash log using the instructions on this page? http://www.bandhelper.com/support/help.html

I will work on both of those - won't be able to though until tonight or tomorrow night. I'll have to "play a gig" at home and see what happens.

IIRC, no crashes occurred when auto-scrolling was not activated, but I can't swear to it right now.

Thanks for your attention.
- Mike

arlo

BandHelper version 2.1.2, which I submitted on Feb. 10, should resolve a crash that occurs related to memory usage when auto-scrolling and screen sharing at the same time:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/release_notes.html

Unfortunately I'm having an issue with Apple approving my BandHelper releases, so this has not been released yet, but I'm working on that.

robbaron

I'm having mostly the same issue. I'm hoping it's fixed in 2.1.2 which still isn't showing up in the app store.
2.1.1 is the current install I'm showing.
The difference is that we use broadcast remote control events instead of screen sharing. We also use auto scroll determined by duration and definitely need the auto scroll feature. The worst part about it is that I finally got the group excited about using BH again with the WiFi connection option (we were never able to get Bluetooth connections to last throughout an entire gig since before the big version release) they're back to grumbling because of the crashes. When we're in show mode and finally have everyone following my events through WiFi (still a bit sticky on the connect, all early IP addresses through last year's AirPort Extreme), everything runs fine for a couple songs before my app crashes back to the home screen. When I reopen mine, all connections are lost and it doesn't reconnect them. My members have to send requests again. Since all our instruments besides my harps demand 2 hands, I get pretty nasty looks whenever it happens. Any ideas here?
I feel I should note that the broadcasting iPad, mine, is an iPad Air with 128GB, WiFi, and data.

arlo

Although I was never able to reproduce a crash while using remote control, reports from Set List Maker users (Apple has approved my recent Set List Maker updates) indicate that crash is gone now. You can turn off Settings > Database Sync > Broadcast Screen on your master device to make sure it's not really a problem with the screen sharing function.

I'm as frustrated as anyone that Apple is not releasing my BandHelper updates. They still haven't answered my questions about why they're rejecting them and what I need to do to get them approved.

MickeyKeys

Quote from: robbaron on March 02, 2015, 10:40:46 AM
I'm having mostly the same issue. I'm hoping it's fixed in 2.1.2 which still isn't showing up in the app store.
2.1.1 is the current install I'm showing.
The difference is that we use broadcast remote control events instead of screen sharing.

Have your crashes stopped? Mine haven't.
- Mike

MickeyKeys

Well, it looks like 2.2.1 did the trick!

Installed the update this evening and I'm now halfway through a simulated 3-hour gig without a single hiccup so far.

Just fired up a set list and let it run. So far I've connected and disconnected an Acer tablet , two Nooks and my smartphone - individually AND all at once.

It's not even breathing hard, and what's more, I don't expect it to!

Congrats and thanks for keeping at it, Arlo!!
- Mike

arlo