Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

USB-MIDI failure on Android

Started by Flyingevalman, April 03, 2015, 01:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RR

Yes, it does all of that. The white icon top right blinks when sending a midi command, the midi command is logged and the midi Status window says "USB-Midi". The button is green and says "midi runnig". Maybe the log in the status window might tell you something. I also tried replugging the USB cable.
Unlike with Midi-Commander, the LED on the Midi Interface does not blink when sending midi commands. Maybe my Midi commands or so bogus, the interface doesn´t accept them and so won´t blink it´s LEDs. But the midi learn features also doesnt´t receive anything, while it works fine with Midi-Commander.
It seems like bandhelper was talking to the wrong device... That´s why I turned off WiFi.
no ideas anymore. I think another midi-interface wouldn´t help much, either - because they seem quite generic. But it would be worth a try if I had one or knew someone who does.

It would be so nice... Control everything with just one foot tip.
Anyway, bandhelper is still great. Right now I use it on stage to display the lyrics and the sound presets. When rehearsing or practicing I use the MP3 playback feature. Haven´t tried the new annotation feature yet, that´s something I was looking forward to.

So cheers Arlo an all the other users.

arlo

It seems like bandhelper was talking to the wrong device... That´s why I turned off WiFi.

I don't think I ever tested the MIDI functionality with wi-fi turned off. That shouldn't matter, but it might be confusing the MIDI engine somehow, so I would turn that back on.

Unlike with Midi-Commander, the LED on the Midi Interface does not blink when sending midi commands. Maybe my Midi commands or so bogus, the interface doesn´t accept them and so won´t blink it´s LEDs. But the midi learn features also doesnt´t receive anything, while it works fine with Midi-Commander.

But MIDI Commander is not installed now, right? I've found that that app is good at taking over the MIDI interface so other apps can't access it (only one app at a time can use a USB MIDI interface on Android).

Also, I wouldn't worry about the MIDI Learn now and just focus on sending MIDI. The reason is that those are two separate functions and it is easier to troubleshoot if you focus on one function at a time.

If you stop and restart the MIDI engine from the MIDI Status window, does that make Android prompt you to connect to the MIDI interface, and does the MIDI sending work after that?

Also, I didn't test this systematically, but I seem to remember that the connection works better if you do NOT select the "use this device by default" option in the USB connection dialog.

RR

Still no success. It´s annoying. Maybe you could have a look into the log screenshot I have posted first time.
Quote from: arlo on August 13, 2015, 07:51:11 AM
I don't think I ever tested the MIDI functionality with wi-fi turned off. That shouldn't matter, but it might be confusing the MIDI engine somehow, so I would turn that back on.
Doesn´t work either way
But MIDI Commander is not installed now, right? I've found that that app is good at taking over the MIDI interface so other apps can't access it (only one app at a time can use a USB MIDI interface on Android).
I have deinstalled it. But it is sufficient to stop the app. You´ll be asked wheter you want Midi-Commander to be started when yout plug in the USB-Midi interface, but if you deny, Android will ask if you want to allow Bandhelper to use it.
If you stop and restart the MIDI engine from the MIDI Status window, does that make Android prompt you to connect to the MIDI interface, and does the MIDI sending work after that?
No, I´m only being asked once. Starting and stopping Midi in Bandhelper doesn´t change anything.
Also, I didn't test this systematically, but I seem to remember that the connection works better if you do NOT select the "use this device by default" option in the USB connection dialog.
Tried it either way
Still counting on you, Arlo, or any other user with a similar setup. Please HELP

arlo

Still no success. It´s annoying. Maybe you could have a look into the log screenshot I have posted first time.

I did. It shows that you are connected to the USB Midi Interface and you are sending data, so that doesn't indicate what the problem is.

I don't have any other ideas at the moment. It works for me when I follow the steps outlined in this post, which we've already reviewed here. I'll post back if I think of something else you can try.

arlo

Are you using the latest BandHelper Android app version 1.4.4? I just tested it again and it worked as expected for me by following these steps:

- Open Android device (Nexus 10 with Android 5.0.2). BandHelper was already running.
- Connect USB OTG Y cable to Android device.
- Connect USB audio interface to one side of Y cable.
- Connect USB charging cable to other side of Y cable.
- Tap MIDI icon in top toolbar to open the MIDI status window. MIDI engine was already running.
- Tap the MIDI Running button to stop the MIDI engine. Then tap the same button (now labeled MIDI Stopped) to restart the engine.
- Android prompts me to use the USB device. Tap OK.
- Navigate to Repertoire > MIDI Presets.
- Tap the MIDI icon for a preset. The MIDI icon in the top toolbar blinks, and the Out light on the USB MIDI interface blinks.

RR

So, yesterday I´ve been spending a few more hours, with the help of a friend on making midi work. Again no luck.
I use the latest Badhelper 1.4.4 but Android 4.4.2. I just did again step by step what you wrote at 4:55. It happens all as you described except the point where the LED should blink.
This feature is so appealing to me, that I´ll give up with this adapter and buy a new one from Roland this time. Will post again, when it has arrived.

Greetings
Robin

arlo

This feature is so appealing to me, that I´ll give up with this adapter and buy a new one from Roland this time. Will post again, when it has arrived.

Okay, that would have been my next suggestion. I have seen MIDI interfaces with slight differences so that they work with some apps but not others. Unfortunately Android doesn't have an OS-level MIDI framework like iOS to ensure consistency across apps.

RR

Yeah!
The new USB-MIDI interface did the trick. It´s a Roland UM-One MKII sold for 39 Euros. I switched it to "Tab mode".
I´m able to switch the Sound Presets from Bandhelper right now. Switching single effects doesn´t work so far, but will be soon I´m sure. Midi commands from the POD to the Tablet are listed in the Midi Status, but I haven´t made the right connection yet to make them switch songs.
We have a saying here in germany: Who buys cheap will buy twice. So don´t go for the cheap Logilink UA0037. It may work correctly with other apps like Midi Commander, but not with bandhelper, as flyingevalman had experienced before.
I actually bought thrice, as I also ordered an M-Audio USB Uno. I will keep you all informed whether this one works as well.

Happy greetings
Robin

arlo

Thanks for following up and for sharing a good German saying. :-) I don't like telling people to buy new stuff, but I'll move "try a different USB interface" up on my list of troubleshooting steps.

RR

The M-Audio UNO also works as expcted.
I´m glad now.
Still couldn´t manage to switch songs, but I surely will when I have read the how-to. The commands from my POD show up in the MIDI status window, so it should be easy from now on.

Thanks Arlo, you have made my stage experience a lot easier already and it will be even more fun from now on!

RR

Hello again,
had another gig and used MIDI for the first time. Bandhelper now switches the effects-patches and single effects on the POD 500HD. That´s a great deal for me, as it´s always a bit hectically between songs... We want to keep breaks between songs as short as possible. I think there´s a little error in the POD´s firmware, because I couldn´t enable the expression pedal as described in the handbook, but that´s not very important.
Switching songs by MIDI still doesn´t work, neither with the Roland nor the M-Audio interface. As the Midi Commands coming in appear in the status window I doubt it´s a hardware related problem.
Today I tried a bluetooth keyboard. It worked very easily to switch songs. So I could buy an airturn pedal or build one myself (with a bluefruit easy-key https://www.adafruit.com/products/1535). But that would mean one more device with batteries to set up and maintain...
The Pod 500HD would do the same thing and is already on stage!
So, if you have any ideas, I´d be grateful
Robin

arlo

Please start a new thread or send a message from Help > Request Tech Support (I will ask you for that in the new thread anyway) if you'd like help with this new issue.

Merlimau26

With SLM Android Version 1.4.5 on my Samsung GT-N8010 with Android 4.1.2 and with USB connected to the Keyboard:
     - remote control change the MIDI presets up and down in Show in a Song.
     - MIDI learn works

Arlo, thanks for fixing that

rtichenberg

To All,

I am having the exact same issue (the very same error text).

I am using a powered USB to OTG to Tablet.  Exact same thing!  >:(

Russell

arlo

I don't know what error text you're referring to, and this thread is several months old. Please start a new thread or use the Help > Request Tech Support button in the app.