Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

App crash when device linked for remote control

Started by chuckpuckett, April 09, 2015, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckpuckett

Has anyone else had this happen? When slaving an iPad to a master iPad, the master (mine!) will occasionally just disappear. I have to restart SLM. The slaved iPad(s) are not affected, or at least have not been so far, though of course they stop following my scroll.

(We use manually calculated scrolling, then I use the AirTurn pedal to toggle scrolling in case it gets ahead of us. This approach minimizes pedal involvement)

This is frustrating during rehearsal. It would be unacceptable at a gig. Kinda hard for the lead singer and guitar player to stop playing and singing while he restarts the app.

We tried slaving 2 iPads last night, and had a LOT of trouble getting the second one to reliably follow the master. Finally gave up on it (the drummer was using it for lyrics, didn't need chords, so he got sacrificed :) ). The 1st iPad in seemed to follow okay, but 2nd one to connect was sporadic at best.

I love SLM when it's behaving, but I'm a little worried about stability.
Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show... I only want to borrow it for a while"
www.puckettpublishing.com
www.bimini-road.com

arlo

Can you make sure the Settings > Device Linking > Broadcast Screen option is turned off on the master iPad? That will avoid running any screen sharing code when you are linking devices.

Can you also send a crash log using the instructions at the bottom of this page?

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/help.html

chuckpuckett

Broadcast Screen is definitely off.
Will submit crashlog next time it happens.
Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show... I only want to borrow it for a while"
www.puckettpublishing.com
www.bimini-road.com

ktm1410

Hi,
I got the same problem. Screen broadcasting is off. When other ipads are linked via wifi, the app is often running off. If you hurry up with opening the app again, all devices are still linked. If you take a few seconds to long, all other devices are not linked anymore. Linking via Bluetooth is not running anymore since January.

ktm1410

Hi,

the problem is still the same. I have no idea how to handle with. It is not possible to do a show with the SLM at the moment.

Is it possible that the router is the problem? But i can't imagine, how the work can crash and the router should be the problem. when i try it at home with my ipad 4 and one iphone 5 there is no problem. but last weekend at a show with 5 different ipads and a wifi hotspot from an iphone the master ipad always crashed again (i tried another ipad as master also)

Please has anybody a solution?

arlo

Please send a message from Help > Request Tech Support on the device that is crashing.

fleahead

I have had it happen during a gig. Not a good thing. Lately we have been having problems keeping the link established. I just started a new thread.
Jim in Ohio

arlo

I haven't received a crash log for this. I made an update in the upcoming version 4.1.7 (in review now) that might fix the crash, but without a crash log and without being able to reproduce it myself, I can't be sure it will fix the problem, so I didn't mention it in the release notes.

arlo

I just had another report of this happening in app version 4.1.7, so I spent some time trying to reproduce the problem today. I'm using an iPad 3 as a master, broadcasting remote control events but not screen sharing. I linked an iPad running iOS 5, an iPhone running iOS 8.3 and an Android tablet running Android 4.4.4 to it, opened the same show on all devices, and let it run for about 45 minutes with no problems. I tried changing songs quickly on the master, running auto-scrolling and playing a recording, but nothing triggered the problem. I tried this with all the devices connected to a wi-fi network that has an Internet connection, and then again with a wi-fi router that doesn't have an Internet connection.

I would like to fix this, but it's hard to know the cause without being able to reproduce the problem. If anyone who does have the problem can find a scenario in which the problem doesn't occur, that would be a valuable clue.

I will also look at any crash reports you can send me. Unfortunately, Apple's tool for reading crash reports has been partially broken for a long time, so this is only partially helpful. Also, if you send a crash log, please try to send a log from the specific time that this crash occurred; if you just send all your recent logs, it's hard for me to know which ones are relevant. Instructions for sending crash logs are at the bottom of this page: http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/help.html

As an alternative to manually sending crash logs, if you're using iOS 8, you can go to the Settings app and select Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Automatically Send, then turn on Share With App Developers. Then email me after a crash occurs so I can retrieve your crash log through Apple's system.

arlo

I just submitted app version 4.1.11 to Apple, with a couple changes that might address this crashing issue. I can't be sure because I still can't reproduce the problem, so I didn't mention it in the release notes. But this should be available for download in about a week.

arlo

Is anyone still seeing this problem after installing app version 4.1.11?