Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Recording MIDI CC events into Automation

Started by Pongo, April 11, 2015, 09:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

Not sure if this question should be posted in this forum, or in your Other Help forum but...
Would you consider adding the ability for users to record/enter CC information into an Automation track?

I have several MIDI presets that are being sent to a vocal processor (TV Helicon Voicelive 2). I've found that many presets are very similar, with only simple changes, like toggling delay or reverb on/off, toggling harmonies on/off, etc., which could be done by simply sending corresponding CC data, rather than switching programs in the unit, thus reducing the number of program changes that would be needed throughout a song (and allowing me to ultimately clean up all of the similar patches in my VL2).

Is this a possibility in the future for SLM?

Thanks

arlo

You can create MIDI presets that only contain control changes, not program changes.

If this doesn't answer your question, please answer the questions on my Feedback page:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/feedback.html

Pongo

That should work great!

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Pongo

I looked through your MIDI tutorial page and it appears that I need to enter the raw MIDI data in the large text field, correct?

I compared your example shown with the chart on midi.org, but don't understand how the suffix would set the volume level:
You can enter any MIDI data in hex code; for example, to set channel 4's volume to 90, you would enter B3 07 5A

I see that B3 determines MIDI channel, 07 is volume, but how is 5A setting the volume level to 90? I thought it would be B3 07 90, but I guess I need a refresher on MIDI. ???

So, to send CC 110 (to toggle harmony) with a value of zero (off), and my VL2 is set to receive on channel 16, how would you suggest I enter that into a new MIDI preset?

Thanks Arlo.

arlo

Yes, you need to use the raw MIDI field to send any messages besides program changes and song select messages.

5A in hex = 90 in decimal. They are two ways of writing the same number. You can find a conversion tool and other resources here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,656.0.html

Sending CC 110 on channel 16 with a value of 0 would require this raw MIDI code: BF 6E 00

BF = control change on channel 16
6E = control number 110
00 = value 0

Pongo

Pongo

Hi Arlo,

Are there any other CC numbers that are not currently supported? I'm working with CC 110 thru 119 (all of which are undefined in the spec) and so far, only 110 and 117 are `working' for me. I've sent a message to TC Helicon, but just wondered if they are in fact supported by SLM.

Quote from: arlo on January 13, 2014, 08:10:03 AM
I have not added support for this because CC #63 is undefined in the MIDI spec.

I might add support for CC #63 even though it's undefined. I'll post back here if I do, or you can email me directly to request a direct email notification.

arlo

Set List Maker will send all controller messages the same way, without regard for what they do or whether they are defined in the MIDI spec.

Pongo

Which now includes CC 63 as well (not that I need it)?

arlo

I think this thread is about sending MIDI messages, and the other thread you quoted above was about receiving MIDI messages. Set List Maker will only receive the MIDI messages that are available for selection on the Settings > Remote Control page.