Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Recordings

Started by Ruckman65, April 17, 2015, 07:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckman65

Using Setlist Maker, all of my recordings are stored locally and I add or delete through iTunes. I assume that, when using Bandhelper, my songs need to be located on your server. As I have around 20gb of songs, this is not a practical solution given that Bandhelper comes with 1 gb of space. Please let me know if my assumption is correct and/or if there is another method by which I can achieve my aim of using Bandhelper without storing the songs on your server.   

arlo

Yes, the recordings have to be uploaded to my server; that's what allows them to sync between devices. Currently there's no way to use recordings without syncing them.

How many recordings do you have and what format are they saved in?

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. We have around 500 recordings saved in .wav format, 21gb worth.

Pongo

Have you considered converting them to 320kbps mp3 files? It's nearly CD quality at about 20% the file size.

http://www.audiomountain.com/tech/audio-file-size.html

Ruckman65

Hello Pongo. Thanks for the suggestion. We have always shied away from MP3 because of the loss of quality. Also, the idea of converting 500 songs from .wav to MP3 is a bit daunting. Still on balance, if changing from Setlist Maker to BandHelper offers significant advantages, it may be worth the effort. 

arlo

I would suggest trying an even lower bit rate for MP3s, and comparing the MP3s to the WAVs through a typical sound system that you would use at a gig and see if you can hear a difference.

There's no technical limitation preventing you from using WAV files in BandHelper, but the practical reality of syncing 40 MB versus 4 MB for every recording makes a big difference. I could possibly start a new account option for more file storage, but there's nothing I can do to make the files upload and download between your account and your devices more quickly.

Also, if your WAV files are already in iTunes, you can easily convert them to MP3s. Select all the files, then go to File > Create New Version > Create MP3 Version. Then you can right-click one of the new MP3s and go to File > Show In Finder to access the new files.

Ruckman65

I converted my songs to .aac format, zipped 'em and uploaded them to the server. The recording icon appears on each song on my device and in Bandhelper<Repertoire<Songs but no songs play back. I assume one of two things. The archived file I uploaded was too big (1.5gb or thereabouts) or Bandhelper and/or Setlist Maker don't play happily with .aac files.   

arlo

The iOS and Android apps can both play AAC files, but the web interface can't:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/attaching_recordings.html

I can see what's wrong with your uploads if you send a message from Help > Request Tech Support in the app.

arlo

I got your email ... the zip file that you uploaded was not processed. The max size for an uploaded zip file is 500 MB. Can you upload your recordings in a few batches of less than 500 MB each?

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. Thank you for the advice. I will do that. Also, I am running the demo version of Bandhelper but would prefer to try the Pro version. Is it possible to upgrade to the trial version?

arlo

There is no "demo" or "trial" version, there is only a "basic" and "pro" version. Can you clarify what you are looking for? Also it is better to request changes to your account by email rather than on the forum.