Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Device Linking Still An Issue

Started by fleahead, April 29, 2015, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleahead

Is anyone out there having any success with wifi device linking for remote control? Despite the recent updates addressing linking issues, we are still having no success. We are able to establish the link at the start of the gig, but it is lost after just a few songs.

Arlo, do you want me to send another Troubleshooting email?
Jim in Ohio

arlo

In this case, the troubleshooting email is less important than a detailed description of what is happening, which you could email or post here.

fleahead

Over the past several weeks since bringing this up again, we've had varying degrees of success with wifi linking for remote control. There have been a few jobs that we linked up on the first try, and it worked without issue the entire gig. Other times, the most common issue is that we establish the link fine and after a few songs, we notice that the link has disappeared, and when we try to re-establish it, he (the other guy) does not see my iPad to request the link. He then has to go into manual mode, for scrolling of the lyrics. Then, in a few times, the link has reappeared after 15-20 minutes. It is simply unreliable. I was wondering if any other users are having success with wifi linking, and if so, please share the router setup.
Jim in Ohio

Sander

I haven't used device linking but I've used wifi and a router to handle my monitor mix. Speaking generally, it gets a lot less reliable when the room is filled with people, probably because of all the smartphones in their pockets. Our sound guys bought this heavy duty router (I would have to check the make/model) and since then it's been ok. Before then the mixing app would work fine during the soundcheck and usually intermittently during the gig.

arlo

I've never heard of wi-fi becoming less reliable because of more people in the room, but I guess it's possible. This would have to be an effect of radio interference rather than traffic or usage of your router, because all those phones in the pockets would not be connected to your router (assuming you use a password on your network). Is your router located on stage or at the sound board? I would guess that a location on stage would minimize interference from the audience, but I don't know how radio interference works.

Sander

I meant radio interference yes. It's a guess based on my experiences and the limited knowledge I have of these things. Basically, wifi connectivity will be great in an empty hall but it takes a hit when there's three hundred people or more in there.

It's either radio interference or their bodies physically blocking the signal but I agree, in either case,  placement on stage would be better. Some routers also allow you to use an extended antenna.

arlo

Maybe you need something like this.  ;)

robbhorton

I am having issues with this as well.  We have a 12 piece band, and very quick transitions between songs, and have previously used a hard-wired system called SamePage to connect everyone, and give the leader the ability to call up the next song for everyone. 

We are trying to transition to iPads and BandHelper, but the device linking is very shaky at best.  I am trying to train our members to reconnect.  Some are catching on more than others.  We have only had a few smaller or private shows so far which have been manageable with this issue.  Half the band is currently using BH, and half is using the old SamePage system.  The older, less technically inclined members are still using the old system.  So I have 6 or 7 followers plus myself using the app at a gig.

I am seeing that occasionally my app will crash when changing songs, or when I double-tap to maximize the music display.  If I am super quick to re-open, I can re-open the app and everyone is still connected.  However, when I bring up the playlist, it takes everyone to the first song.  Not good if we are in the middle of a song.

We have a rehearsal tomorrow and will all use the iPads for rehearsal.  I plan to try to document when the app crashes or connectivity is lost.  Any suggestions?

I have a dedicated router for the iPads, separate right now from the one our mixer is using.

arlo

Can you send a message from Help > Request Tech Support in the app so I can see your app details?