Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Latency of Sampler Tank when using SLM

Started by Splepp, May 06, 2015, 08:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splepp

Hi arglo
When I use sample tank, there is a setting: ultra low latency!
When I turn it on, I don't hear a latency at all.
But when SLM is running, the ST tells me: latency is forced by another App.

And THEN I hear latency. Especially in funk! And it hurts!

Is there some way to change it?

Best Stefan

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

Splepp

I forgot to mention, that I play Sampletank by midi keyboard!
So I use SLM to make all my midi settings and sounds for each chosen  song, also in ST. Then I play this sounds by midi in STa.

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

arlo

I don't know how Set List Maker could affect the audio settings of another app. My app used to set the audio buffer size, which might be a device-wide setting, but recent versions do not set it.

Is Settings > Audio & MIDI > Play Audio in Background turned off? Maybe that will make a difference.

Are you playing any audio from Set List Maker?

Which of the two apps is in the foreground?

Splepp

Hi arlo
No, play audio in background it's off. Never used it.
Don't play any audio from SLM.
SLM is in the foreground mot time. Just in few cases I have to make some settings I have sample tank in the foreground.
Some idea?

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

arlo

Does the problem happen when SampleTank is in the foreground? Does it happen when the home screen is in the foreground?

Splepp

That doesn't matter...

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

arlo

Can you post a screen shot showing the "latency is forced by another app" message?

Splepp

Splepp

When I close SLM it looks like this

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

arlo

I just wrote to IK Multimedia to ask for an explanation.

arlo

I exchanged a few emails with IK Multimedia yesterday. They explained that if any other audio app is running, they disable the "ultra-low" latency option and use whatever latency setting (technically, the audio buffer size) the other app requested. The problem is that my apps don't set the buffer size at all, they just leave it at the system default, so there's no benefit to SampleTank disabling this option in this case.

I recommended to IK Multimedia that they only disable this option if the other app has actually set a buffer size; if the other app doesn't specify a buffer size, then they should go ahead and set it. If their app can't tell if another app has set the buffer size (there might not be a reliable way to determine this), they could go ahead and enable the option anyway, and update their hint text to say, "Set to Low if you hear clicks or pops in this or other audio apps."

They said they'd consider my feedback. If you like, you could contact them with the same feedback and maybe that would give it more weight.

Splepp

I wrote them too.

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

Splepp

Hi Arlo
I have good news.
I found, if I deactivate the midi router button in "audio and midi" and all the audio buttons, then the app sample tanks stays in  "ultra low latency" mode and receives the midi messages in spite of that.
What do I need that button for?
Still have to test tonight, if my external devices will receive the correct midi messages also in spit of deactivation of the button!
Best
Stefan

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

arlo

Quote from: Splepp on May 27, 2015, 07:20:20 AM
I found, if I deactivate the midi router button in "audio and midi" and all the audio buttons, then the app sample tanks stays in  "ultra low latency" mode and receives the midi messages in spite of that.
What do I need that button for?

Are you talking about settings in Set List Maker? What settings exactly?