Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Da capo en dal segno markings on pdf music scores

Started by Roadracer, January 12, 2015, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadracer

Hello,

I love this program from the moment I found it I'm having the time of my live. Scanning my scores in , making lists etc... . Just having fun.

But I stumble on a problem and wanted to know how others deal with it !

I use  setlistmaker primarly to read pdf's and have several pdf's with more then one page .

I'll give a example of the problem i'm facing with :

1 song with 4 pages : on page 2 I have a to "repeat" a piece that starts on page 1 ( say measure 10 to measure 50 on page 2) then I have on page 4 the "Dal segno" sign that go's to page 3 measure  150 and then play  till measure 200 where I have  a "To coda" sign and that the Coda is on page 4 measure  250 and the play till the end.

The solution would be that i could set a sort of marking points on these points in the pdf and that setlistmaker scrolls ( jumps) to these points .
Something like a rollplay book : play( scroll ) till measure  40 ( point 1) and then jump to measure 10 (point 2) and scroll to measure 50 ( point 3) then scroll to page 4 till the dal segno (point 4) and jump to page 3 measure 150 (point 5) , scroll to measure 200 ( point 6)  ......etc ...........

I have no recordings from the parts that i play just pdf files. I have more then thousand pieces , so to remember all the repeats and coda or other signs is impossible .

How do I solve this problem?

Greetings

RR

Pongo

This would be easy to do with the automation upgrade (in app purchase), but without some sort of timing reference (either an audio recording, or at least a tempo that would flash) it would be nearly impossible to get consistent playback.

I'm sure Arlo will follow-up here, with a better solution for you.

arlo

I love this program from the moment I found it I'm having the time of my live. Scanning my scores in , making lists etc... . Just having fun.

All right, music should be fun after all. :-)

1 song with 4 pages : on page 2 I have a to "repeat" a piece that starts on page 1 ( say measure 10 to measure 50 on page 2) then I have on page 4 the "Dal segno" sign that go's to page 3 measure  150 and then play  till measure 200 where I have  a "To coda" sign and that the Coda is on page 4 measure  250 and the play till the end.
The solution would be that i could set a sort of marking points on these points in the pdf and that setlistmaker scrolls ( jumps) to these points .

The app doesn't have a way to add custom hotspots to a document and jump around that way. That's on my wish list and I'll add a vote for you. Here are some other ideas in the meantime:

1) If you play with a consistent tempo (usually if you play to a click or backing track, but this could possibly work if you start the song and play through it very consistently), you can record an automation track that performs all the movements. But if you decided to perform a song at a different tempo, you'd have to re-record its automation track.

2) Another item on my wish list is a manually controlled automation track ... it sounds like an oxymoron, but basically you would record all your scroll movements like in an automation track, then trigger them manually in sequence using a foot switch. This would be easier to develop than custom hot spots, so is more likely to make it into the app.

3) The upcoming version 4.1 will have an option to add a list of numbered page buttons to your layout. You can use these buttons to jump to a specific page. If you annotated your documents and wrote the page number next to each coda symbol or whatever, you could then use the buttons to jump to the specified pages.

4) Similarly, if your documents had no more than four pages and you wanted to use a foot switch with four buttons, I could add a function to jump to a specific page with a specific foot switch button. If you had more pages, you could find a foot switch with more buttons, but I think it would be hard to hit the right button without looking down a lot.

5) You could try editing your PDF files to copy and paste sections of the score repeatedly so that you could read the document sequentially.

To be clear, options 1 and 5 are available now, option 3 will be available very soon (any day now) and options 2 and 4 are hypothetical based on future development.

Roadracer

1) If you play with a consistent tempo (usually if you play to a click or backing track, but this could possibly work if you start the song and play through it very consistently), you can record an automation track that performs all the movements. But if you decided to perform a song at a different tempo, you'd have to re-record its automation track.

That will be a problem because of the severall tempo changes in many songs ; Mostly  medley's

2) Another item on my wish list is a manually controlled automation track ... it sounds like an oxymoron, but basically you would record all your scroll movements like in an automation track, then trigger them manually in sequence using a foot switch. This would be easier to develop than custom hot spots, so is more likely to make it into the app.

The food pedal is a number one item on my own wishlist. So that would be an option with  item 3

3) The upcoming version 4.1 will have an option to add a list of numbered page buttons to your layout. You can use these buttons to jump to a specific page. If you annotated your documents and wrote the page number next to each coda symbol or whatever, you could then use the buttons to jump to the specified pages.

Thats a solution . But only with 4 jumps .

4) Similarly, if your documents had no more than four pages and you wanted to use a foot switch with four buttons, I could add a function to jump to a specific page with a specific foot switch button. If you had more pages, you could find a foot switch with more buttons, but I think it would be hard to hit the right button without looking down a lot.

That is a main issue with more then 4 jumps .

5) You could try editing your PDF files to copy and paste sections of the score repeatedly so that you could read the document sequentially.

That's one of the solutions I could do but I have such a stack of pdf 's it would be a several year's project .

To be clear, options 1 and 5 are available now, option 3 will be available very soon (any day now) and options 2 and 4 are hypothetical based on future development.

Il see what I can do with the solutions you handed over to me. Seems I have a lot of work waiting for me in the next future.

Still ,thanks for the quick answer.

RR

arlo

That will be a problem because of the severall tempo changes in many songs ; Mostly  medley's

A tempo change would be fine. What I meant by "consistent" is that you'd have to perform the song with the same tempo(s) you were using you recorded the automation track. That would be difficult to do, but not impossible.

QuoteThats a solution . But only with 4 jumps .

You can resize the page number buttons to show as many buttons as you want (within the limits of the screen size), so that would work for more than four pages.

Roadracer

OK,

Have you a tutorial or vid how to resize or/place pagenumbers?

greetings

RR

arlo

Not specifically, but general instructions for editing layouts are here:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/changing_layouts.html

The song numbers will be available in version 4.1 when Apple releases it:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

arlo

In the new app version released today, you can add named markers to a document, and then any page-based function will jump to the markers instead of the pages. You can also place a clickable list of the marker names into your layout. More info and a demo video are here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1786.0.html