Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Feature request - midi learn for remote control

Started by Sander, May 29, 2015, 04:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sander

If possible, I would really like a midi learn option for the remote control setup. I have a few buttons on my synth that I would like to use on my synth for song advancement, but they're not available in the remote control setup. I hope you will consider this for a future update.

arlo

Do you mean you want the ability to use any MIDI message for remote control, and not just the messages that the app already supports? What is an example of a MIDI message you want to use that isn't already supported?

Sander

My sequencer start/stop button and my fast forward and rewind buttons, and my "locate" button. On my Kronos, I can program a slew of buttons and sliders but those are remembered by every combination or program. The mentioned buttons are available globally and would be ideal for skipping through the song list. Ideally, I would like to go to the SLM remote control menu, add a new "custom midi control", hit learn, hit my button, and assign a function. But I realize you have a life, too ;)

Still, I would love it if you would consider something like that!

arlo

Can you tell me what MIDI messages you want to send to the app? You might have to look in the user manual for the device you want to send from to find out what MIDI messages it sends.

Sander

Sander

Turns out that even though I have a setting to enable transmission of these buttons in the global menu of my synth, nothing is sent over midi. Or at least, I tried using SLM "midi learn" in the midi preset window and nothing was registered. So I'll have to find a different solution. The problem is that most of my programmable control surface on my synth has different functions depending on the program/combination I'm playing. I'll figure something out and keep you posted. It would help if I could use a freely definable CC number so I could use something that is definitely not used by any of my patches. E.g. the preset "generic switches" are also used by my synth and thus I can't always use them to switch songs.

arlo

There are two approaches to mapping MIDI functions. The first is to look at the MIDI spec and use the MIDI messages for the functions that they were designed to be used for. The second is to arbitrarily use any message for any function -- a "freely definable CC number," as you said. I've always tried to follow the first approach, but this isn't always ideal because many manufacturers follow the second approach. I could possibly do some of that if needed, but I always look for ways to solve the problem with the first approach first.