Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Smartlists -- is there a way to use both AND and OR to create a filter?

Started by Erawal, October 11, 2016, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erawal

Hi --

I use multiple tags to classify my songs.  I would like to know if there is a way to create a smartlist that would allow me to specify that I want songs that are tagged with TAG1 AND that are tagged with EITHER TAG2 OR TAG3.  Perhaps this is called Boolean searching (I'm not sure)?

So -- I'd like a list of songs tagged as <CHORUS> songs, and that are also EITHER tagged as <IRISH> or <SCOTTISH>. 

LIST = Chorus AND (Scottish OR Irish)

Right now, the only way I can figure out how to do this is to create two separate smartlists, one of IRISH CHORUS songs, and one of SCOTTISH CHORUS songs.  Is there a way to integrate them into one list? 

Sorry if I am missing something obvious. 

Thanks!

--erawal

arlo

I understand what you want to do, but it's pretty complicated. I based my smart lists on smart playlists in iTunes and they also work similarly to message filters in a couple different email apps I use, and none of those allow you to make subgroups of filters like this.

The only workaround I can think of is to make separate tags for "Irish Chorus" and "Scottish Chorus," but that would be difficult for you to maintain accurately. Maybe someone else has an idea?

Erawal

Thanks, well, at least I didn't miss something obvious!

I'd welcome any suggestions others might have.

You are right that it wouldn't be practical for me to create and maintain separate tags for "Irish chorus" and Scottish chorus" songs.  (Also, my desire to use layered tags goes beyond that one example). 

Thanks for your response.

--erawal

arlo

Another suggestion is to include all the tags you're interested in as an OR search, then sort the list by tag. Then your songs will be organized into sections for each tag, and a song that is both "Irish" and "Chorus" will appear in both sections. This isn't quite what you're asking for, but might be useful.