Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Behringer x18 air MIDI

Started by Lake_guy, August 20, 2019, 10:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake_guy

I am trying to sort out what to enter as a MIDI preset in Bandhelper to send to the x18 to load snapshots. 

What do I enter in the MSB, LSB and Program fields?  or do I need to enter it in the raw MIDI entry box?

Have attached:

• MIDI implementation chart for the mixer.
    Bandhelper MIDI device page
    Bandhelper MIDI preset

arlo

You would first need to add a MIDI Device for the mixer, and set it to channel 1.

Then for each snapshot you want to access, you would create a MIDI preset and enter the snapshot number into the program change field for the mixer -- just a number 1-64. It looks like you don't need to populate the MSB or LSB fields, and you don't need any Raw MIDI.

Then sending the preset should select the corresponding snapshot.

Lake_guy

Does the port number matter?  When I go to select the port number I have three options in the list.

Network Session 1
X18/XR18
All

If I choose the X18 entry then I can set it to Channel 1.

if I choose All I get this error after selecting the check icon - "You already have a device set up for this port and channel.  You can only have one active MIDI device per port and channel."

Can I use the X18 entry for the port field? 

arlo

You can set the port, but I recommend leaving it to All unless you have a specific need to do otherwise.

What is the device you already have set up on channel 1?

Lake_guy

The guitar player has a PODHD500X running in channel 1.

arlo

You can edit that MIDI Device, click Users and deselect all the users except your guitar player. Then select only yourself when adding a MIDI Device for the mixer. Then the two won't conflict.

Lake_guy

ok, that looks like it worked.

I put MIDI learn on and then tapped the snapshot I wanted in the ipad and it loaded and appears i captured the MIDI data.  When I try and activate the MIDI command in a song the only change I see is a quick flicker of the channel one fader.

If I go to the snapshots in the mixer i can load and execute them and they do what I expect them to so I don't think the issue has to do with the mixer snapshot.

arlo

What data is in your MIDI preset after doing the MIDI Learn?

Lake_guy

I am using two MIDI presets:

• Xr18 Base - channels with levels and other settings
  • X18 All Off - all channels muted

I've attached the two MIDI presets as they show after enabling MIDI learn.
The program field doesn't populate for either preset so i have manualy entered that value in addition to what is there and it doesn't change anything.
I've also cleared out all other MID Learn data and just left it with the program change values and nothing changes.

arlo

The program change rows have three fields, for bank MSB, bank LSB and program. In your case you only need a program number, so that should go into the third field, and the first two fields should be empty.

Lake_guy

MIDI learn also populated the Control Changes fields.  Should those also be blank?

arlo

If you're just selecting snapshots, based on what I saw in the Behringer documentation, you don't need anything in the Control Change fields.

Lake_guy

that's what it looked like to me too.  In the MIDI logs on Bandhelper it shows transmission and receiving MIDI data.

Is there a way to test a MIDI preset directly in BH without having to add a preset to a song and then add the song to a setlist?

Lake_guy

ok, i tried a different layout and it works now. 

The difference in that layout that works is that it did not have any value for Send Layout MIDI. 

arlo

Is there a way to test a MIDI preset directly in BH without having to add a preset to a song and then add the song to a setlist?

Yes, in the Repertoire > MIDI Presets list, you can click the MIDI icons.

The difference in that layout that works is that it did not have any value for Send Layout MIDI.

Yes, you need that layout action if you want the MIDI preset sent automatically when you select a song.