Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Recalculate speed if overridden

Started by Neill00, April 14, 2022, 06:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill00

I've read up on this on the tutorials and done some experimenting but I'm not sure if I have it straight quite yet on the best use of the feature.  With it turned off, if you adjust the lyrics on the screen the lyrics continue to scroll at the same speed so I'm thinking if the you find the reason you're adjust lyrics on the screen is because the band started too late or if the band already started playing and you started the scroll late this would be the setting to use.

So is the "recalculate if overridden" the setting to use if you find that you have to adjust the scroll due to the tempo being off? ie; the band has sped up and the lyrics aren't keeping up. Or would it have the opposite effect?  Do I have it backwards?  I'm getting old and I don't think my brain was designed for this kind of deep thinking.

arlo

Here are some guidelines:

- Recalculate off (default) - Best if the song duration changes because the band varies the arrangement, like adding extra solos. You can manually adjust the scroll position to get back to the right spot and then it will continue scrolling at the same speed as before. This is the default because I think this is what most people would expect to happen.

- Recalculate on - Best if the song duration is consistent (because both the tempo and arrangement are consistent) but the lyrics aren't evenly distributed within the song, like the lyrics get ahead due to a long solo in the middle. With this setting, the speed will increase or decrease as needed after a manual adjustment so the auto-scrolling still ends at the time time.

If the band plays at a different tempo than usual, it's better to have recalculate off even though you might have to manually adjust multiple times to keep on track. Recalculate on would work against you in that situation because it would keep trying to make the duration consistent even though the different tempo will lead to a different duration -- so you would end up making more and larger manual adjustments.

If the band starts late, the ideal solution is to reselect the song at that point so the auto-scrolling completely resets. The next best option would be to have recalculate off so you can make a single manual adjustment to get back on track.

Neill00

Thanks for that explanation... that clears it all up. 

lowdencleere

Hi Guys,

Sorry for jumping in here - it seems like the most suitable thread for my query....

QUOTE:  You can also control BandHelper's behavior when you override the auto-scroll position or pause and resume the auto-scrolling, with the Settings > General Settings > Auto-Scroll > Recalculate Speed If Overridden option. When turned on, BandHelper will adjust the scrolling speed to reach the bottom of your document or lyrics at the original end time of the song. When disabled, BandHelper will continue with the original scrolling speed and adjust the completion time of the song to match when you reach the bottom of the document.

This feature doesn't automatically update the duration of the song then, no? ..just the 'completion trigger' (for other connected actions....)

I was rather hoping that BH could 'Learn' (or fine tune) the Duration based on my 'live trials' and hence provide more accurate scrolling, and require less interence from me, going forward??
Not the case so - ?

Tony

arlo

BandHelper doesn't "learn" and adjust your saved song durations based on manual scroll overrides, and it doesn't trigger song completion actions from the end of the auto-scrolling. It does sound like that from the text you quoted, but I don't think it ever did work that way, and I should rewrite that.

lowdencleere

Thanks for the Clarification Arlo -

Tony

[Great Product]

Neill00

I can see how you might get that idea.  But I understood it to mean it this way and I think if you have the scroll set to manual it's easier to get the concept.  If you set the auto-scroll duration to 3:00 minutes and your lyrics are a total of 50 lines,  Bandhelper will calculate how fast to scroll to cover the 50 lines in that 3 minutes.  So if you have "recalculate speed if overridden" turned on, and you manually adjust the lyrics during a performance, the speed will be recalculated so that you still get to the end of those 50 lines in the original 3 minutes from when you started the scroll.  With it turned off, the scroll just sticks to the original speed that it started at.

Neill00

Back to this feature for a bit, I just want to try to get a deeper understanding of how it works as it might help me.  So let's suppose recalculate is turned off and everything goes as planned when performing the song.  I start the scroll when the band starts the song. It makes sense that all the happens with regard to scroll speed is that when the scroll actually starts, there's a calculation as to how fast to scroll the document so that the last line of the document comes onto the screen when the scroll duration expires.

Now, if during the course of the song, I manually use my finger to move the lyrics higher on the screen, you can see the number of seconds remaining on the scroll adjust to a lower number.  So when that initial calculation takes place is there also a calculation for each line?  So let's say the document has 80 lines and 20 of them are visible so 60 lines that need to scroll and  the scroll duration is 3:00 minutes.  So 180 seconds divided by 60 lines is 3 seconds per line.  Does that sound right?  So if it's scrolling away and I move line 20 up to the line 17 position will it knock 9 seconds off the scroll time? And would that be with recalculate turned off?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to recover if I screw up and start the scroll late so that I don't have to keep advancing the lyrics the rest of the song.  It never seems to work out correctly in all my testing.  My hope is that I could adjust once to the current location of the song and that it would scroll correctly for the rest of the song but it keeps getting behind where it would be if I nailed it from the top.

My guess is that it doesn't account for pre-roll unless you have the pre-roll set to start at line 1 as opposed to say letting the song get a paragraph or two into the song before the scroll starts?

arlo

Your understanding is correct. The app calculates in terms of vertical pixels, not in terms of lines, but that gives the same result since all lines are the same height.

If you're trying to compensate for forgetting to start the auto-scrolling, you would want the recalculate setting to be off so you can manually scroll ahead to the desired position without changing the scroll speed for the rest of the song.

Neill00