Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

iPad Midi USB-C Roland SPD-SX

Started by gema, August 09, 2024, 12:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gema

Hello everyone,
Unfortunately I haven't found the right solution in this forum yet and am therefore asking for help.
Sorry for my bad English. I'll let Google translate it...

Initial situation:
- MacBook
- iPad pro 2022
- Roland SPD-SX sample pad
- USB-C cable
- Apple USB-C multiport

I have a Roland SPD-SX sample pad here. The goal is to display the setlist in Bandhelper and when I click on the next song, the next song is also set in SPD-SX. I can also switch the song selection in Bandhelper forward or backward by pressing the pad on the SPD-SX.

Now to my problem:
- The whole thing works wonderfully with the USB-C cable and the MacBook. The corresponding presets etc. have been created. The MIDI menu in Bandhelper also shows the SPD-SX by name and recognizes this.

I made all the settings on the iPad exactly as on the MacBook and I also select the same layout. I first use the USB-C cable as the plug connection. Bandhelper on the iPad does not recognize the SPD-SX. I then connected the Apple USB-C multiport with external power supply in between, restarted the app, but the SPD-SX is not recognized again. If I now use the last option and plug it into the MacBook, the SPD-SX is recognized immediately and everything works perfectly. Back to the iPad, it doesn't work...

Please help me. I'm desperate...

Best regards, Matthias

arlo

When you say "not recognized" do you mean the SPD-SX doesn't appear in the list of Connected Ports in the MIDI Status window?

gema

Hello Arlo,
yes, exactly. It is displayed on the MacBook, but not on the iPad. Only the standard values ��network session 1 input and output.

arlo

This will only work if the MIDI interface on the SPD-SX is USB class compliant. I did a quick web search and found conflicting info on that, so you'll have to do a deeper search or contact Roland.

If it's not class compliant, you will need a USB MIDI interface between the iPad and the SPD-SX.

gema

Hello Arlo,
I found this information too. I have an iPad Pro from 2022 and a MacBook Pro from 2023. The year of manufacture of the Roland SPD-SX is much older. But how can it be that it works immediately with the MacBook and not with the iPad? I also suspect iOS as the problem, but it works on many videos on YouTube. So I suspect a setting issue either in BandHelper or a driver is missing on the iPad. The latter is not possible, however, as the iPads all support Midi USB...

...so that we understand each other correctly, I use USB Midi. I have a USB A to USB B cable for this and alternatively a USB C to USB B cable.

I also have a MIDI interface cable from Roland, but it doesn't work at all with the MacBook and iPad. You probably need to make additional settings for this..

gema

Hello Arlo,
your post gave me another idea and I found the solution!

On the Roland SPD-SX sample pad, you have to set whether USB MIDI is used in the settings (Menu - Setup - Midi - USB-Midi I/F).

SO:
The Macbook can handle all variants - Midi USB and a USB to Midi cable. It is important that the above setting is set in the sample pad settings.

The iPad can only handle the Roland cable (USB MIDI INTERFACE UM-ONE). To do this, the button on the side of the interface must be set to "Tab". The above setting must then be made in the SPD-SX - (USB-MIDI I/F - OFF). You can then either connect the interface cable directly to the iPad or put a dongle for external power supply in between.

It's been a long journey : )

I'll soon write a guide on how to connect Bandhelper and iPad to a Roland SPD-SX and make it skip forward and backward on the setlist, turn tempo on and off and so on.

This question comes up very often. It was a lot of work and after more than six weeks I can now successfully complete this project and look forward to the new setup!

Thanks Arlo, you gave me the idea.

arlo

It sounds like the SPD-SX is not class compliant, so you do need a USB MIDI interface to use it with a tablet. And this also requires changing a setting on the SPD-SX, and changing a switch on the Roland UM-ONE if that's your MIDI interface. I'm glad you figured that out.