Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Another Midi question!

Started by Quadcab, August 19, 2024, 11:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quadcab

So I'm trying to get My DMX 2.1 to change our bands lights as I scroll through our set list. We already have a Headrest MX5, 2 Vicelike VL3x, Yamaha 900 DTX, and a Tyros 5 all working perfectly using program changes. However My DMX uses note numbers as midi commands, and it has a midi command learn button for this purpose. Firstly am I correct in thinking the only way I can send a note number is in the Raw MIDI pane? Secondly, a note on followed by a note off is the required protocol to trigger a lighting patch, using different note numbers for each patch ? Thirdly, would this Hex Codebe correct for note number 26 sending on channel 16.
9F 26 7F
8F 26 00
This is what I've been doing for each patch using a different note number in the middle for each song and patch, but it doesn't work to move the lights!
Any help appreciated, and thanks for the stickers Arlo!

arlo

1. Yes, you can only send note messages from the Raw MIDI field.
2. It depends on the receiving device, but it is common and I think generally recommended to always send a Note Off after a Note On.
3. That would send note number 38 because 26 in hexadecimal equals 38 in decimal:

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-decimal.html

Quadcab

Thanks for the quick response Arlo. I'll give that a go tomorrow.