Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Program change from Band Helper to SPD-SX

Started by Milosdjuric, August 27, 2024, 01:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milosdjuric

Hello all! Here is a noob question that I can't find an answer to. What should I do to send MIDI program changes to my sampling pad? I have set up the MIDI device, ch No., port, MIDI preset in BH, adjusted everything needed in the spd (patches change when connected to a PC or another Roland module) but I can't get it to respond. In BH the values are MSB 0 (or nothing), LSB 0 (or nothing), program change XX (should be the patch number, but none make anything move), since the pad has only one bank and 100 patches.

One caviat is that I'm using a Midronome (very cool and capable device) to send tempo changes and sync from BH to the modules and that works. That device should forward other MIDI messages and notes, but I'm still investigating if there could be some hiccup. How do you manage to connect BH to eg. spd-sx directly? (I saw few older threads that mention this)

Thanks for any help!

arlo

First, if you click the MIDI button in the top toolbar and look at the Activity Log, do you see your outgoing messages and are they what you were intending to send?

Second, how are your devices connected to each other now?

Milosdjuric

Quote from: arlo on August 27, 2024, 10:01:57 AMFirst, if you click the MIDI button in the top toolbar and look at the Activity Log, do you see your outgoing messages and are they what you were intending to send?

Second, how are your devices connected to each other now?

Yes, the log shows the outgoing messages, but I'm not sure if those are the correct ones. I've tried various combinations, but mainly I wrote the bank selectors as 0 or empty.

Devices are connected as follows:
Android device>USB/MIDI input Midronome>MIDI din input SPD-SX

In this setup, I'm sending the tempo change from Band Helper to SPD-SX.

Otherwise, I have tested the functionality and settings of the sampling pad, everything works fine when I have a Roland TD30 make program changes on SPD-SX via MIDI. Currently I'm trying to inspect what goes through the Midronome, since it should forward any MIDI notes or pc/cc commands automatically.

arlo

If you click the MIDI button in the top toolbar and look at the Connected Ports, does the Midronome appear there? And did you leave the Port settings in your MIDI Devices set to All in case of any discrepancies in the way the port names appear?

Milosdjuric

Quote from: arlo on August 28, 2024, 09:53:48 AMIf you click the MIDI button in the top toolbar and look at the Connected Ports, does the Midronome appear there? And did you leave the Port settings in your MIDI Devices set to All in case of any discrepancies in the way the port names appear?

Yes, the Midronome is listed in the connections (it already transmits tempo change messages to various devices including spd-sx, so that is all fine), and port settings are set to All.

arlo

It sounds like everything is set up correctly in BandHelper, and in the SPD-SX if that responds to program changes sent from other devices. I would contact the makers of the Midronome to confirm that it will forward program change messages.

Milosdjuric

Quote from: arlo on August 30, 2024, 09:41:21 AMIt sounds like everything is set up correctly in BandHelper, and in the SPD-SX if that responds to program changes sent from other devices. I would contact the makers of the Midronome to confirm that it will forward program change messages.

I'm suspecting the same thing. After testing even more possible setups with soundcards, modules and both usb and din MIDI, it seems the program changes are not getting through (although they should as stated in the manual). More correspondence with Midronome makers to come. Thank you for the support!

arlo

Milosdjuric

Hello again!

After more testing it now comes down to settings in BH. I have confirmed that Midronome is forwarding all the MIDI notes and messages, the timing clock is being transmitted normally and everything works fine (using Pocket Midi app), but doing the same with BH has no results. I have made the MIDI device, selected the appropriate channel and 'all ports', made a MIDI preset for that device and wrote the program change value. No idea what else to do.

arlo

Pocket MIDI is a Mac app, right? And you're running BandHelper on an Android device? Are you connecting the Android to the Midronome the same way you're connecting the Mac?

Also, can you compare the log in Pocket MIDI to the log in BandHelper to make sure you're sending the same data from both apps?

Milosdjuric

I'm using Windows and I have compared all the data, everything is the same.

arlo

Are you connecting the Android to the Midronome the same way you're connecting the PC?

Milosdjuric

Quote from: arlo on September 04, 2024, 12:38:02 PMAre you connecting the Android to the Midronome the same way you're connecting the PC?

What do you mean? I'm connecting both PC and Android tablet with Midronome via USB cable.

arlo

Please do this in BandHelper with the Midronome connected.

1. Open the MIDI Status window.
2. Click MIDI Running to stop MIDI.
3. Click Clear Log.
4. Click MIDI Stopped to start MIDI.
5. Close the MIDI Status window.
6. Send a program change to the Midronome.
7. Open the MIDI Status window.
8. Copy and paste the log contents here.

Then connect the Midronome to your PC, clear the Pocket MIDI log, send a program change from there and copy and paste the Pocket MIDI log here.

Milosdjuric

I will do that. In the meantime, here is a suggestion from the maker of Midronome, considering MIDI ports:

'I see. But am I correct that the CC messages are working while the PC are not? If so I would really contact BH as they might be able to see something in their code. Mention to them that the issue is probably related to the fact that there are more than 1 pair of MIDI-USB interfaces.
Simon'