Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Boss FS5U Start Stop Recordings

Started by Krystofur, July 17, 2015, 08:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krystofur

I cannot imagine I'm the first to ask, but I cannot find a thread on the forum.

I'm using SLM on an iPad with an Alesis IO dock 2 and a boss fs5u (unlatched) foot switch. All I'm looking to do is start/stop (kill) recordings with it. It definitely recognizes that the foot switch exists since it highlights the midi icon. But despite many configurations in settings...and assigning the start/stop feature to the device there, it just isn't working. Others have told me they have done this, but cannot remember their settings.

Is there anyway someone could just make believe I'm at default settings and just let me know how this needs to be set up to work. I've been at it for hours/days. No doubt I'm overlooking something simple, but I cannot get this to work.

Very simple summary:
IO Dock 2
Boss FS5U foot switch
I only want to make it start/stop recordings as backing tracks.

Thanks!

arlo

It would be best to send a message from the Help > Request Tech Support button in the app so I can see your current setup.

Krystofur

arlo

You have General Purpose Button 1 (MIDI control change 80) mapped to the recording start/stop action, but the foot switch on an iODock II sends CC 14. That control change is undefined in the MIDI spec, so Set List Maker doesn't listen for it.

This forum post shows how to remap CC 14 from the iODock to a standard CC 80 that Set List Maker listens for:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,926.msg2801.html#msg2801

Krystofur

Yea...having seen this thread before I was afraid this was the problem. While I'll try to figure this out, is there an easier solution like a different pedal or is the issue the IO dock itself?

Thanks

Krystofur

Tried it. Absolutely works. Thanks.

arlo

The issue is with the iODock II using an undefined MIDI message instead of a standard MIDI message. The original iODock doesn't have this problem. I could update the app to accept undefined messages, but I prefer to follow the MIDI spec. I'm glad the MIDI Bridge solution worked for you.

Krystofur

Hi Arlo...

So since I loved using the single boss FS 5U so much, I went out and got the FS6 so I could run tempo start stop and recording start stop on separate foot switches. Problem is even with the media bridge set up its not working. Only the original start stop for recordings works. I think I have to set up a new bridge for the "B" pedal now? Has this ever come up?

Thanks

Krystofur

So much for that...I saw the other thread.

While the io dock can use 2 switches...SLM doesn't hear the second midi signal.

:-\

arlo

What other thread are you referring to?

Krystofur

There was another crazy drummer who wanted to use 2 footswitches...one to scroll and one to stop/start.

You basically told him that while the io dock can handle 2 foot switches, the second sends an undefined midi that SLM maker doesn't support. I would agree with this. Even after trying to use midi bridge to program both pedals, SLM still only identifies one when they are both plugged in to the IO dock. I verified both pedals work in SLM independently - so it's not a hardware issue on that end. It's in SLM, as you had already told someone else.

So I'm trying now to figure out a way to get a second foot switch into the mix...

arlo

Can you paste a link to that thread?

arlo

Quote from: Krystofur on July 24, 2015, 06:46:27 AM
You basically told him that while the io dock can handle 2 foot switches, the second sends an undefined midi that SLM maker doesn't support. I would agree with this.

Actually the problem with the second switch on an iODock is the same as the problem with the first switch on the iODock II, so you should be able to solve it the same way, by using MIDI Bridge to remap the undefined MIDI message to a defined MIDI message that Set List Maker supports. If you already tried this, please specify what IODock output message you remapped and what you remapped it to.

Krystofur

Hi Arlo

Sorry I'm just getting back to this now. I was away this weekend and unless I have the io dock running midi bridge doesn't show me the rules I set up for it.

When I set up the FS5U I followed the thread above and used the same rules, which also matched "learn midi" in SLM when pressing the pedal on the 5U:
B0 0E = B0 50 7F

So I thought I could use the same rule as before, because it shows that code in learn midi, and the new rule for the second pedal using the same methodology. So I created this output message for the double pedal or the FS6U:

B0 0E = B0 50 7F (like the other)
B0 0F = B0 0F 7F (for the second pedal)

However, while one pedal worked, similar to the 5U mapped as general button 1, the second pedal action, mapped as general button 2, does not work. The midi icon flashes so the signal is being received.

Thanks.