Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Switching songs by Midi

Started by RR, August 20, 2015, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RR

Hi all, it´s me again...
Now that I have set up my Midi gear (Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2, USB-OTG Adaptor, Roland UM-ONE USB-Midi interface, Line6 POD500HD), the Midi-Commands from Bandhelper switch the presets on my POD. The Pod receives on Channel 3. That´s running very nice.
I also located an unused footswitch on the POD which I want to use to flip the songs in Bandhelper. I set up this switch to send a Control Change message on Channel 1. I set Bandhelper to listen to MIDI Commands on Channel 1. When pressing the footswitch, the LED on the UM-One blinks and the command appears in bandhelper´s Midi status window. It´s B0 41 7F. Translated: Portamento ON.
Of course I have set bandhelper to switch to the next song on portamento command. I tried the same with other controllers and even notes. Nothing happens in setlist view.
Any ideas?

arlo

Please do two things:

1) Send a message from Help > Request Tech Support in the app so I can verify your settings.

2) Either post a screen shot or specify the path you are taking to the place in the app where you are trying to receive the remote control messages so I can verify you are in the right place.

wolle

Hi arlo,

I have almost the same issue.

Setup:

- Samsung Galaxy Notepro 12.2 WIFI
- USB OTG Gadget
- M-Audio USB Uno
- Boss GT-10b

The USB Uno is recognized (I'm asked to give Bandhelper access to the midi device from Android O/S) and I see messages in the MIDI log window in BandHelper when I press e.g. CTL2 on the GT-10b:

received data [B3, 51, 7F]
received data [B3, 51, 00]

Decoding this leads to:

0xB3 -> Control Change on channel 0x3 -> MIDI channel 4 which reflects the setup of the GT-10b
0x51 -> 81  General Purpose Button 2 (on/off) -> this is exactly the button I pressed on GT-10b
0x7F, 0x00 -> "button down" event and "button up" Event

In the remote control setup, I have the entry "General Purpose Button" four times. I assume this means "General Purpose Button 1-4" according to the MIDI Standard. You might want to add the numbers in a future release ;-)

I configured the first "General Purpose Button" entry to "Next Song", the second to "Previous Song".

Effect:

After selecting a set list, none of the two buttons has any effect. I also tried other functions (e.g. scroll down) The event itself appears in the MIDI log and the MIDI symbol at the top blinks accordingly.

In the thead "Using pedal to scroll documents....no luck" http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1035.msg3369.html#msg3369 , you're talking about a "Show View" and that remote control does only work in the "Show View". Is this an old naming convention from Set List Maker or do I need to select a special view / a Special view configuration to make remote control work? Does this work on I-Pad only?

As the message is displayed correctly in the log window, I have the Feeling that we're already close to success!

I attached the stuff from "Request Tech Support" to my posting.

Regards!

arlo

In the remote control setup, I have the entry "General Purpose Button" four times. I assume this means "General Purpose Button 1-4" according to the MIDI Standard. You might want to add the numbers in a future release ;-)

These are numbered in the iOS version, but the numbers aren't appearing in the Android version for some reason. I'll check that for the next release.

In the thead "Using pedal to scroll documents....no luck" http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1035.msg3369.html#msg3369 , you're talking about a "Show View" and that remote control does only work in the "Show View". Is this an old naming convention from Set List Maker or do I need to select a special view / a Special view configuration to make remote control work?

The show view in Set List Maker is the same as the set list view in BandHelper. I would still like to see a screen shot of the place in the app where you are trying to receive the remote control messages so I can verify you are in the right place.

Does this work on I-Pad only?

It should work on any device that the app runs on.

wolle

Thanks for the update.

I'll generate a screen shot this afternoon.

Are there any special requirements on the view? I just select a set list and select a view, that shows the document assigned to the current song full screen in portrait with previous song, a custom field and next song displayed at the bottom. The song list is not visible.

Merlimau26

Hi Arlo

Same issue here with Set List Maker (like wolle has).

Setup:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N8010)
- USB OTG Gadget
- Nord Stage 2

The Nord Stage 2 is recognized via USB and I see messages in the MIDI log window in Set List Maker when I press e.g. note 21 or note 22 Nord Stage 2:

received data [90, 15, 27]
received data [90, 16, 27]
Decoding this leads to:

90 -> note on
15 -> note 21
27 -> velocity

Effect:
None of the note I pressed on the Nord Stage 2 has an effect on up or down of the MIDI presets in a song.
It's like the midi command stuck in the program and wouldn't be picked up for further processing. See attachments.

The same with Midi learn. Midi commands come into Set List Maker and are viewed in the Midi engine log but no further processing. Means Midi learn doesn't work.

Merlimau26

arlo

wolle, what happens if you change Settings > Remote Control > MIDI Input Channel to All?

Merlimau26, what are your Settings > Remote Control > MIDI Input Channel and Port set to?

Merlimau26

Hi Arlo

Both are set to all. See screenshot attached.

Merlimau26

wolle

Hi Arlo,

there is no difference in the behaviour between Midi Input Channel set to "all" vs "4".

Steps I perform to get to the place where I expect the Remote Control to work:

1. Start Bandhelper
2. Select the account
3. Select "Repertoire"
4. Select "Set Lists"
5. Select a set list
6. Select a view, in this case "Song only, Portrait"
7. Expect the Midi Remote Control to work

Whould that be the proper place to be?

The view is customised to my needs. Is there anything special that:
- needs to be visible in the view
- configured in the view
to make the link to the Remote Control feature?

Does the view need to have a special name?

I also tried other functions like "Recording 1 Start/Stop" without success.

Regards

Wolle

arlo

Yes, that is the correct place to be, and no, the layout you select doesn't need any special name or configuration. All layouts should receive MIDI the same way. However, it's possible that a layout is loading incorrectly and then not registering itself to receive MIDI; you could quickly test that by selecting a different layout to see if the incoming messages are processed there.

Otherwise, I have the next Android update planned for about 10 days from now, and I will add some additional logging to the MIDI Status window so we can troubleshoot further. Currently that window only shows when the app first receives the MIDI; I'll add some more log entries as the message moves through the app so we can see where it's stopping. I'll follow up when that's available.

arlo

The new version that was released yesterday adds some additional events to the MIDI activity log, so you could repeat the process of sending remote control events into the app and then copy and paste the log and send it to me for further troubleshooting.

This version also numbers the General Purpose Button rows on the settings page.

Additional info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1051.0.html

RR

Hello again,
just the other day I noticed that the Next Song Button (big right arrow) doesn´t work either. So today I wanted write an error report. But then I noticed that switching songs by MIDI DOES work now! Haven´t changed any settings / hardware, maybe the latest updates did the trick. It just worked fine: tap a button on the Pod - Midi command coming into USB - BH switches to next song - BH sends out song specific MIDI data to the Pod - Pod switches the effect patch.
So I don´t know why it didn´t work in a previous version, but it works with 1.5.5 now.
I also don´t know why the big button doesn´t work, while I can switch songs by swiping, MIDI or a bluetooth keyboard.
Now I am one MIDI-Port short, as I also want to remote control our digital mixing desk via a pedal connected to the Pod (just fading away vocal effects beween songs). Maybe I could get the Behringer X32 to pass MIDI commands thru.

Cheers
Robin

arlo

That's right, the latest Android version tweaks the MIDI input and I forgot to post an update here. I'm glad it's working for you now.

(If you have a question about a different feature, please start a new thread or send a help request from the app.)