Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Page breaks with visual marker

Started by mlmpenny, March 08, 2016, 10:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlmpenny

FEATURE REQUEST: Page breaks on songs with visual marker

REASON: Working with a foot controller is difficult as the page scrolls by. Normally the last two lines are repeated at the top of a long document. Whilst finding your spot upon scroll is still tricky, it's still doable. However, if the last page is less that a full screen long, it's nigh impossible to find your spot again.

WHAT WOULD IT IMPROVE" 1) The ability to tell the system where WE have time to press the pedal 2) Control over visual output 3)Better interfacing with foot pedal.

Cheers.

M

arlo

I don't understand what you're asking for. Please describe your setup and explain specifically what the problem is.

mlmpenny

Okay.

A picture paints a thousand words:

https://youtu.be/nG6c2XhJOdU  - uploading as I type.

arlo

Okay, the way I'd describe that is that you want to add markers to your lyrics and then jump to the markers, rather than jump one screen at a time. I don't know if there is a way for my app to get the position of text inside your lyrics so it knows where to jump to, but I put that on my wish list to look into.

Another approach would be to record an automation track that jumps to each section of your lyrics, and another item on my wish list is to allow you to jump manually to the next event in an automation track. So that would give you exactly the functionality you're looking for, but you would set it up differently.

Meanwhile, you might want to experiment with auto-scrolling rather than jumping through the pages; that moves the lyrics smoothly so you don't lose track of where you are. You can use your foot switch to pause and resume the auto-scrolling if needed. Instructions are here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/performing.html#autoscroll

Also, if you put some extra line breaks at the end, that would solve the problem of the last jump being less than a full screen. You would not want to do that if you're using auto-scrolling, however.

By the way, I saw that you had some ChordPro-style chords in your first example song. If you resize your lyrics to eliminate line wrapping, and change Settings > Appearance > Lyrics Font to Monospace, those should line up correctly with your lyrics.

mlmpenny

Thanks Arlo.

Appreciate all of the advice. Will look into auto scrolling and the chord wrapping.

Fantastic system.

M

lasdan

Hi! This is a functinality I would like to see too. Either as an manual automation track funtion, og a "page break" code to put in where the page break should be.

Lasse

lasdan

Hi,

Any news on this topic for the new year?

Lasse

arlo

This is tentatively on my to do list for the next feature release some time around the middle of the year.

lasdan

arlo

I'm working on this feature now and have a question about the best way to implement it. The line or character used to indicate a page break should be visible when editing lyrics, so you can see where the page breaks are and delete them if needed. Do you think it should also be visible when viewing lyrics, or should it be invisible and the app just knows where the breaks are and jumps to them?

(Please don't say "make it a setting to work either way" because the app has so many settings already!)

Chris

Despite conflicting with your last statement... I indeed think that having a button to display a visualization or not would be the best approach. It could be located right besides the buttons for the key signatures or close to the text adjustment buttons...
If that is too complicated though, I would rather want to see them in the editing field, both in web and app.

Regards, Chris

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

arlo

The markers will definitely appear in the editing field. I'm just wondering if they should appear in the set list view, when you're reading and scrolling the lyrics.

I'm leaning toward showing them everywhere except when you print them.

wakevortex

hi Arlo

Why would we want to see page breaks when performing? Personally that would just get in the way of the information we DO want to see...page breaks are a great idea to see but at an editing stage , NOT performing
Just my thoughts
Bill P

arlo

Well, when you view a document, you see the page breaks (a narrow gap between the pages). For the new lyrics functionality, this would be even more subtle, just a short horizontal line at the point where the break is.

One benefit to showing them while viewing the lyrics is reassurance that you've entered them where you want and that the app is functioning correctly -- if you forget where you put them, it might seem that the app is malfunctioning or jumping to random places. Another benefit is that you can use them as a guide when setting your lyrics sizes -- you can make sure not to make the text so large that any page extends off the bottom of the screen.

bill.douglas@ymail.com

Has this page break feature been implemented yet ?