Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Luminair with SetList Maker

Started by Ruckman65, March 26, 2016, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckman65

I will check that, thank you Arlo. Luminair definitely does not support banks. Here is some earlier advice I received from tech support - Have you tried using other MIDI Voice messages, such as Note On/Off, Control Change, Program Change? I can't think of any reason you'd be experiencing this with Bank messages, but perhaps it's something we'd need to look into further. I think my recommendation for now would be to try using Note On/Off, Control Change, Program Change messages, if those options are available in Setlist Maker.

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. I have just checked the midi info. In the midi preset I am using, I have the number 1 in the program field of channel 2, and nothing else. When I check the midi activity log, it says that it is sending a whole lot more data than that. 
- Midi started
- added port Set List Maker for output
- added port Set List Maker for input
- added port Network Session 1 for input
- added port Network Session 1 for output
- sending data [B0, 00, 00, C0, 01] to port Luminair
- sending data [B1, 20, 00, C1, 01] to port Luminair
- sending data [01] to port Luminair
- sending data [C1, 01] to port Luminair
- sending data [01] to port Luminair

arlo

You are definitely sending messages to two different channels (B0 and C0 versus B1 and C1). It might be helpful to rename your two MIDI devices to Luminair 1 and Luminair 2.

I can troubleshoot the extra data if you post a screen shot of the MIDI preset that generated that, or submit a help desk ticket here:

http://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. The two midi devices are named LuminairC1 and LuminairC2. I couldn't do the screen shot but have attached a photo of midi preset 2, which is the example I have been using.

Ruckman65

I think I've made some headway. I can assign any midi channel number to any song and, using midi learn in Luminair, the lighting scene gets attached to the song. For example, midi preset 1 is on Channel 1 and triggers scene 1. I try to set the next song to midi preset 2, on Channel 2 with lighting scene 2 but it sets it to Channel 1, scene 1. But, when I set the next song, it sets it as Channel 2, scene 2. So, essentially, it takes two shots to 'stick' the midi preset. In short, song 1 is set to channel 1, scene 1. When I go to set song 2, it also sets as channel 1, scene 1. Then, if I go back to reset song 1, it will set to channel 2, scene 2. Confusing? A little, but at least there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

arlo

That doesn't look like the same preset you used when generating the MIDI Status log posted earlier ... or multiple presets generated that. Please show an example of a MIDI Status log that looks incorrect, and the MIDI preset that generated it.

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. What I have found is this. If I add a midi preset to a song then close and restart Setlist Maker, I can add a different preset to another song on any channel with no problems. But, if I don't close down and restart Setlist Maker, when adding a preset to a second song, it takes on the preset for the first song. Perhaps this has something to do with opening and closing of ports. Should I send you a few photos of the midi activity for each of these scenarios? 

arlo

Please submit a help ticket and include step-by-step instructions to reproduce the problem:

http://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. I have submitted a ticket, as requested. I could not attach two files to the ticket so have added them to this post. It shows the midi presets 1 and 2.

Ruckman65

Hello Arlo. I see in the release notes for v5 'Stopped sending a 0 byte if the Raw MIDI field in a MIDI preset contains only empty space'. Has that anything to do with the issue I raised with midi presets and Luminair?

arlo

Yes, that addresses the issue where leaving empty spaces in the Raw MIDI field generates the "sending data [01] to port Luminair" message.

Ruckman65

Wonderful. Thank you, as always, for your prompt attention to fixing the bugs that users report. I have never encountered customer support as good as you offer.

micklepickle

Ruckman65, I'm just getting started with controlling Luminair from SetList maker and am trying to come up with some way to change lighting Scenes during a song after I've selected the initial Scene via SetList Maker.

Have you found a way to do this, or does your lighting remain the same throughout the song?

Ideally I'd like to select a Sequence within Luminair, and then have it either run automatically or - better yet - advance to the next Scene in the sequence with a foot switch. But this ability seems to require MIDI Show Control, which is a special format not supported by the foot switches I've investigated.

Based on your experience so far, any ideas?

arlo

If you create a MIDI preset for each scene in a song, and attach those presets to the song, you can then use a foot switch to either step through the presets in order or select particular presets (if you have enough foot switch buttons). In this setup, your foot switch selects the preset in Set List Maker, and then the preset selects the scene in Luminair.

Ruckman65

Hey micklepickle. I don't use sequences with Luminair because it seems a little difficult to get the timing right from the Luminair end. Arlo's suggestion about a foot pedal would probably work but I want everything completely automated. So, what I have done is create a new layout that includes all of my songs and icons for midi, playback and automation. In Luminair, I create all the scenes I may need for a specific song such as intro, verse, chorus, lead break and outro. Then, in SetList Maker, I go to Shows and open the 'Midi Automation' layout i previously created.

Click on the automation icon for the song you want to work on and the 'Record' dialogue opens. The automation icon then flashes orange.
Press the midi icon and the list of midi presets I added to the song are shown.
Press the playback icon and the song starts.
As you get to the appropriate part of each song, press the name of the midi preset in the midi preset dialogue box. This essentially records that preset at that time point.
When the song finishes, click on the automation icon and you will get the Stop command. Click on that.
You may need to edit the timing of the scene changes. You can do that by again pressing the automation icon. You will see options for Play, Record, Edit and Clear. Press Edit.

You will see the timing of each midi automation step you made and can amend as necessary.

I found that I had to do quite a bit of editing to get the timing right and, perhaps because of latency, had to amend the timing of each change by about two seconds to stay in sync with the song. But, it is well worth it. To have the scenes automatically change when we are doing our shows is awesome. Don't have to worry about foot pedals - it is all automated. Simply brilliant!

Let me know if you need further clarification. It took me months to get all of this working properly and, with Arlo's guidance, it is now a very fluid process for me. I hope this saves you some time and a saves you from a lot of frustration.