Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Please help me find my MIDI error. Lots of clues provided.

Started by DaveCarusoMusic, June 01, 2017, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveCarusoMusic

Please help me find my MIDI error.

I've connected my iPad Air 2 with an iRig lightning cable to an iRig MIDI 2.  The MIDI 2 OUT is connected to the MIDI IN of my Yamaha MX49 keyboard.

I created a song.
I created a MIDI Preset.
I created a Show.
I put the song in a show.
I chose the "More Controls" layout.
I pressed the button to change the patch on the M49.
The "OUT" indicator lit up on the iRig 2 and the patch changed, but not to the correct patch. 

Let's narrow down what I'm doing wrong.

I've attached the chart I'm using to enter the MSB, LSB and Program values.  I know the MSB and LSB values are correct, because those columns have the exact same names as your nomenclature.  But "Program" does not appear in any column heading in the chart.  I tried using the value in the column marked "Number," then I tried using the value in the column marked "PC."  Neither got me the right patch.

Questions:
1) In my attached MIDI chart, which column contains the information for "Program?"
2) Do I need to add a certain number of leading zeros for each value?
3) Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance!

arlo

I think PC from that chart is what you need to enter in to the Program field in Set List Maker, but you could ask Yamaha to be sure.

You don't need to add leading zeroes.

Can you see a pattern to the wrong patches selected? Are they off by 1 every time?

DaveCarusoMusic

Your question (and therefore the answer) was brilliant, thank you.

Yes, the patch was off by one number in the PC column. 

So the answer is:

Use the PC column for the PROGRAM number
Add or subtract 1 to the PC number (because some programmers start counting with zero, I assume).
Don't worry in the leading zeros.

Thanks so much for the quick reply and terrific answer.

Dave

arlo

Okay. Yes, the MIDI spec didn't clarify whether we should count from 0 or 1, so different manufacturers implement it differently. My apps count from 0 and it sounds like Yamaha counts from 1.

Instead of manually subtracting from every number, you can edit the MIDI device you set up for the keyboard and set the Numbering to 1-128. Then you can enter values in your MIDI presets that match the values as Yamaha displays them.

However, if you have already entered some values that are manually adjusted, you will need to "unadjust" them (add the 1 back in) after changing this setting.

DaveCarusoMusic

That's brilliant.  You seem to have thought of everything.  I'll do that.  And let me thank you, while I'm at it, for your web site help and your ridiculously fast customer service -- it was extremely helpful in getting me underway.  Kudos to you!  I'll go review the app right now.

DaveCarusoMusic

OK, Arlo.  I gave you a 5-star rating!  :)

Since your last suggestion, under Settings / MIDI Devices, I added a MIDI Device for the Yamaha MX49 and set the numbering as "1-128."  I set the port as "iRig2 MIDI 2" and I set the MIDI Channel as 1 (as confirmed on my Yamaha MX49).

*** I should clarify that before, when I asked you about settings and everything was off by 1, I had NOT specified any MIDI Device at all. ***

Next, I changed each MIDI Preset to reflect the correct patch numbers.  Almost every number had to be adjusted after the other change, but I did them painstakingly, one at a time.  While in each Preset, I verified that it was using the MX49 MIDI Device.  (It's listed in 2 places, once by the 3 MIDI numbers and once a few spaces down, where it's labeled "MIDI Device."

Then I went back to several songs and tested.  A few patches work correctly and most of the others are way off -- not even in the correct sound bank. 

I tried changing the Port to "ALL" but that didn't change the result.  I also tried just re-entering the 3 MIDI numbers for one of the MIDI Presets that's playing the wrong patch.  It didn't have any effect, it continues to play the wrong patch.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Dave

arlo

The 1-numbering setting also affects the MSB and LSB numbers; did you take that into account?

Looking again at Yamaha's chart, the lowest number they show for an MSB or LSB is 0, but the lowest number they show for a program change is 1. Could they be so mean as to number MSB and LSB as 0-127 and PC as 1-128? I would experiment with that to find out. Unfortunately my app can't split the numbering like that, so you would have to pick one method or the other and compensate accordingly.

The port setting in the MIDI preset only refers to the Raw MIDI field. Anyway, I recommend only setting the ports in your devices and presets if you have a specific need to do that.

DaveCarusoMusic

Quote from: arlo on June 02, 2017, 09:01:07 AM
The 1-numbering setting also affects the MSB and LSB numbers; did you take that into account?

Looking again at Yamaha's chart, the lowest number they show for an MSB or LSB is 0, but the lowest number they show for a program change is 1. Could they be so mean as to number MSB and LSB as 0-127 and PC as 1-128? I would experiment with that to find out. Unfortunately my app can't split the numbering like that, so you would have to pick one method or the other and compensate accordingly.

Genius.  I never would have noticed that the fields were implemented differently as to their starting numbers.  Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to get me started.  All patches are responding perfectly now.  Have a great day!

arlo

Ugh, I can't believe they wrote their documentation that way. Glad to hear it's working now.