Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Phasing Out Database Syncing

Started by arlo, July 10, 2017, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

I am planning to phase out the database sync function in Set List Maker and replace it with a simple database export/import function. Here are some FAQs about this change:

Why are you phasing out the database sync function?

Removing existing functionality is always a difficult decision. But for almost four years now, BandHelper has offered a superior syncing system: it makes more reliable backups from the moment you start an account, it syncs attached documents and recordings along with your database data, it supports different permissions for different users in your account and it includes a more intuitive way to enter personal vs. shared data. If you want to share data with bandmates automatically, you will have a better experience if you switch to BandHelper. Meanwhile, Set List Maker's older sync system is one of the most difficult functions to maintain and support, so phasing it out will leave me more time to spend on other improvements in both products. Replacing it with a simple export/import function will make it more comparable to other apps in its price range, and will make a clearer differentiation between my products, with Set List Maker focused more on individual use and BandHelper focused more on exchanging information with bandmates.

When are you phasing out the database sync function?

After December 15, 2017, you will no longer be able to purchase the Database Sync upgrade, and after January 15, 2018, you will no longer be able to use this function.

If I switch to BandHelper, will I lose all the data I've entered into Set List Maker?

After creating a BandHelper account, you can go to the Account > Import page to find instructions for importing your Set List Maker databases. If you have more than one Set List Maker database, you can create a project in your BandHelper account for each of them, then import each Set List Maker database into a different BandHelper project.

If I switch to BandHelper, will I lose all the money I've spent on Set List Maker?

If you have recently purchased Set List Maker, you can request refunds from the Apple or Amazon app stores, or ask me for a refund from the Google store.

If you have been using Set List Maker for a while, but you migrate your Set List Maker databases to a new BandHelper Basic account by September 30, I'll make your account free for the first two years (or one year if you choose to upgrade to a Pro account). If you migrate by December 31, I'll make your account free for the first year (or six months if you choose to upgrade to a Pro account). After that, the normal BandHelper pricing will apply.

If I don't switch to BandHelper, will there be any way to share data between devices?

The new versions of Set List Maker released today include database export and import functions that you can use to send databases from one device to another. Unlike the database sync function, the export/import functions aren't automatic, can't merge changes made on different devices between syncs, and don't offer the ability to roll back individual edits. On the positive side, you will be able to store these files wherever you want as backups. This approach to sharing databases is comparable to how most other repertoire management apps work.

To start using the new export/import functions instead of the database sync function, go to Settings > Database Sync, clear the sync name and password fields and turn off Auto-Sync. To delete the sync name, either click the small X button or select all and cut, rather than deleting one character at a time, which the app will interpret as trying to change the sync name. Then leave that page to save your settings. You might notice that the sync name field now shows a default sync name, but this is only a suggestion for setting up database syncing again. You can ignore that auto-generated sync name.

After removing the sync settings, click the sync icon in the top toolbar, and you'll see a popup menu with three buttons:

• Export Database: Saves your database file to the selected cloud storage (iOS) or local file location (iOS 11 and Android).
  • Email Database: Emails your database file to the address you enter.
  • Import Database: Selects a database file from the selected cloud storage (iOS) or local file location (iOS 11 and Android). On iOS, you can also send the database into Set List Maker using the Open In function from another app, like the Mail app. When you use this function, your current database will be completely overwritten by the file you select.

If I have an iPad 1, how can I use the new database export/import functions?

Since I can no longer release updates for the iPad 1, there will be no way to share data with an iPad 1 after the sync function stops working on January 15, 2018. You can continue using Set List Maker as a standalone app, but I recommend replacing this seven year old hardware with the new 9.7" iPad, which offers excellent performance and full compatibility with current apps for $329.

Lake_guy

What happens to local data such as MIDI when someone receives a database file?  Can users still keep their local data intact?

arlo

What happens to local data such as MIDI when someone receives a database file?  Can users still keep their local data intact?

Importing a database file replaces all your data with the data in the file.

jjoelson

Hi Arlo,

I think this change makes a lot of sense. Pay-once business models always make me a bit uneasy when it comes to applications that I truly depend on. Subscriptions create better incentives in terms of sustainability and ongoing development.

I have two questions on migrating from SLM:

1. My band has two members who use their own documents in addition to the shared lyrics and chord charts. Is there any way to get these all imported into BandHelper in one shot without having to redo the work of assigning them to songs?

2. How do I redeem the offer for two years free after I migrate the database?

Thanks,
Jon

arlo

1. My band has two members who use their own documents in addition to the shared lyrics and chord charts. Is there any way to get these all imported into BandHelper in one shot without having to redo the work of assigning them to songs?

It will take a few steps to replicate that setup, but BandHelper has batch import and batch editing features to help. Please submit a help ticket and I can walk you through it: https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html

2. How do I redeem the offer for two years free after I migrate the database?

Basically just email me your account name. More details are here: http://www.bandhelper.com/main/promotions.html

jlowry

Not entirely happy about this as its a major feature for me but understand the move.  For my use, Set List Maker has all the tools I need but I am in multiple bands and sync databases between my own devices and with other bandmates.

That being said, my question is about the BandHelpers Basic Accounts pricing options.  The second level 2-5 Band Members.  What does that actually mean? 

In Set List Maker I sync a specific database with certain individuals.  One database is synced with 3 people, two other db's with a single person.  All of my db's are synced on two other devices of my own.   

So where does this put me for the account I need?

Do the other people have to purchase accounts also or do they fall under my account?

Does BandHelper have the "Follow Remote Control Events from..." feature?

arlo

That being said, my question is about the BandHelpers Basic Accounts pricing options.  The second level 2-5 Band Members.  What does that actually mean? 

That means up to five people can access your account. Each person can have any number of devices.

In Set List Maker I sync a specific database with certain individuals.  One database is synced with 3 people, two other db's with a single person.  All of my db's are synced on two other devices of my own.   
Do the other people have to purchase accounts also or do they fall under my account?

They don't have to purchase their own accounts. You would just add them as users in your account. Instructions are here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/managing_users.html

Does BandHelper have the "Follow Remote Control Events from..." feature?

Yes, all the performance features are the same. It's the user access, data management and syncing features that are improved in BandHelper Basic (plus the additional modules in BandHelper Pro).

jlowry

Quote from: arlo on July 21, 2017, 01:12:23 PM
They don't have to purchase their own accounts. You would just add them as users in your account.

I should have been more clear.  I meant via an iOS device not in a web browser.  Will my other bandmates have to purchase an account or just me?  Same scenario as you mentioned?

arlo

I should have been more clear.  I meant via an iOS device not in a web browser.

I'm not sure what the question is here. You can only add users to your account from the website, but then those users can access your account from the website or the apps.

Will my other bandmates have to purchase an account or just me?

Just you.

gdavey377

Four of us bought Set List maker and then paid extra for the database sync feature.  So, to be clear, now I would create a single account, and then they would download bandhelper for free and just login to my account?  Or do we all create accounts?

arlo

Quote from: gdavey377 on July 21, 2017, 02:45:13 PM
Four of us bought Set List maker and then paid extra for the database sync feature.  So, to be clear, now I would create a single account, and then they would download bandhelper for free and just login to my account?  Or do we all create accounts?

You would just create one account, add your bandmates as users to your account, and give them the usernames and passwords to log into your account.

lonetech

Arlo, i made sure my setlist maker was the latest version, and i went into settings, turned off auto sync and tried to delete the title and password. It came up with an error saying i had to have permission from the moderator to do this. What am i missing?

lonetech

A correction. It said that i had to contact the developer to get an authorization code.

arlo

Quote from: lonetech on July 23, 2017, 10:42:27 AM
Arlo, i made sure my setlist maker was the latest version, and i went into settings, turned off auto sync and tried to delete the title and password. It came up with an error saying i had to have permission from the moderator to do this. What am i missing?

If you delete one character at a time from the sync name, the app will think you're trying to change the sync name and ask for a code. Instead, either click the little X button in the field, or select the entire sync name and press Delete, to delete it all at once. That should work.

lonetech