Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Problem with iOS version 5.1.16

Started by arlo, July 11, 2017, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

I've just found a serious problem with iOS app version 5.1.16 and have removed it from the App Store. I have already submitted a fixed version 5.1.17, which is waiting for Apple's review should be available for download now.

If you launch version 5.1.16 the first time, there's no problem. But when you launch this version a second time, a bug in the startup sequence will either crash a slower device, or reset some of your database data, like MIDI presets and custom layouts, on a faster device.

You can view your current app version in the Settings app under General > Usage > Storage > Manage Storage > Set List Maker. If you have a version older than 5.1.16, you can stop reading because you should have no problems. If you have version 5.1.16, I recommend not launching Set List Maker until version 5.1.17 is installed in its place.

If you have already launched version 5.1.16 twice and experienced the data loss, you have two options for restoring your data:

• If you have been backing up your device to iTunes or iCloud, you can restore your device from your backup now. Assuming you have not backed up again since the problem occurred, this will restore any lost data. Then install version 5.1.17 before launching the app again. Please note: If you are going to restore from iTunes, you must cancel an iTunes sync that starts when you connect your device to your computer. Otherwise that will make a new backup, overwriting the backup that you need to restore from.

• If you have been syncing your database with the built-in database sync function, you can install version 5.1.17, then open the app and click Help > Utilities > Reset Local Data. This will restore any lost data except layouts. You can reinstall the default layouts with the Help > Utilities > Load Default Layouts button. If you have custom layouts that you previously copied to an unaffected device, you can copy them back to affected devices. If you had custom layouts that are not saved anywhere else, you will unfortunately have to recreate them.

This problem is database specific, so if you have multiple databases on your device, it will only affect the databases that you have opened with app version 5.1.16. Any databases you have not yet opened should be unaffected and will work normally after updating to 5.1.17.

I'm deeply sorry for the inconvenience this problem has caused. I consider any loss of user data to be the worst mistake I can make as a developer and I'll do whatever I can to help you get back up and running. Hopefully you are all making backups with iTunes, iCloud and/or the database sync function and you can move past this issue quickly.

Duffage

This is not good.
Not good at all.

All of my custom layouts and MIDI presets have vanished from eight databases.

How soon before I can start to recreate years worth of work?

arlo

There's no need to recreate anything if you can restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup. You would need to recreate, at the most, your custom layouts if you were using the database sync function.

I can't control the timing of iOS releases, but I expect Apple to release the updated app version today.

SLM-user

My iPad and iPhone's App Store update shows the buggy version ready to be update on my devices.
Will the good version replace the earlier version or will I be seeing two updates?

Sorry but I have not had this situation occurring before, so any advise is appreciated.

gfhbass

I have this problem and  all of my layouts are gone,  both custom and standard.  I don't think my backups will be any good (already over laid), but I have a copy of BandHelper that I am playing around with (not in production).  It has the standard layouts and my one custom layout.  Can I import these into Set List Maker?  Thanks...

arlo

Quote from: SLM-user on July 12, 2017, 09:54:35 AM
My iPad and iPhone's App Store update shows the buggy version ready to be update on my devices.
Will the good version replace the earlier version or will I be seeing two updates?

The good version 5.1.17 will replace the problematic version 5.1.16 as soon as Apple releases it. It will be impossible to install the problematic version at that point.

Quote from: gfhbass on July 12, 2017, 10:51:02 AM
I have this problem and  all of my layouts are gone,  both custom and standard.  I don't think my backups will be any good (already over laid), but I have a copy of BandHelper that I am playing around with (not in production).  It has the standard layouts and my one custom layout.  Can I import these into Set List Maker?

Yes, you can export a layout from BandHelper and import it into Set List Maker.

Duffage

Quote from: arlo on July 12, 2017, 09:28:58 AM
There's no need to recreate anything if you can restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup. You would need to recreate, at the most, your custom layouts if you were using the database sync function.

I can't control the timing of iOS releases, but I expect Apple to release the updated app version today.

Unless I'm missing a step in the link you provided in your first announcement, iCloud wants to erase my device before restoring any backups. I'm not comfortable with that.
I will (impatiently) wait for 5.1.17 to appear, then rebuild my custom layouts and MIDI presets.

arlo

Quote from: Duffage on July 12, 2017, 02:22:35 PM
Unless I'm missing a step in the link you provided in your first announcement, iCloud wants to erase my device before restoring any backups. I'm not comfortable with that.

I've only used iTunes backups myself, and it doesn't show a warning like that, but I think it works the same way. I've restored from iTunes backups many times and never had problems with the results. It does take a while and will probably take longer with iCloud because it goes through wi-fi from the cloud rather than through Lightning from your computer.

Quote from: Duffage on July 12, 2017, 02:22:35 PM
I will (impatiently) wait for 5.1.17 to appear, then rebuild my custom layouts and MIDI presets.

Were you using Set List Maker's database sync function? That would allow you to restore everything but the custom layouts.

arlo

Apple has just approved version 5.1.17, and it should be available for download within the next hour.

Duffage

No, I do not use the database sync function.

arlo

Quote from: Duffage on July 12, 2017, 03:53:47 PM
No, I do not use the database sync function.

Personally I would just restore from your backup -- that's what backups are for! -- unless your lost data was minimal enough that recreating it wouldn't be hard.

Mykimus

Version 5.1.17 is now available in the iOS App Store.

Please refer to the original post in this thread for suggestions on how best to proceed, and let us know if we can be of assistance along the way.

Brandon
===
Brandon Wright
Set List Maker Technical Support

Duffage

Quote from: arlo on July 12, 2017, 04:06:55 PM
Personally I would just restore from your backup -- that's what backups are for! -- unless your lost data was minimal enough that recreating it wouldn't be hard.

Hard? No. Just time consuming.
I'm currently recreating my MIDI presets by hand in 5.1.17. (versus a wipe and reboot of my iPad.) Thankfully no documents, songs, lyrics, notes, sets or chords were lost.

beneisiminger

I reloaded from a cloud save lost all layouts I can deal with that but my midi preset button names in the "multiple midi buttons" field don't appear with the latest version. The right number of buttons are here just not the names but unlike before the preset list still exists . Please help I got gigs man!!!

arlo

Quote from: beneisiminger on July 12, 2017, 08:49:15 PM
I reloaded from a cloud save lost all layouts I can deal with that but my midi preset button names in the "multiple midi buttons" field don't appear with the latest version. The right number of buttons are here just not the names but unlike before the preset list still exists . Please help I got gigs man!!!

Please submit a help ticket so I can look at your data:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html